PDA

View Full Version : 10/110 vs 11/111

SThomas3791
11-13-2014, 11:21 PM
Hello all,

I currently own a Savage Axis in 308 and I love it. Now I'm looking to add to my Savage collection with the Trophy Hunter XP Package again in 308. Is it safe to assume the only difference between the 10/110 and 11/111 is just the stock? Either wood or synthetic correct? How do you guys like your THXP Packages for general whitetail hunting? Are the packages pulling in the accuracy that my Axis is? I know they are a step up from the Axis but is it that much noticeable? Any issues or problems that they tend to have? I know I went through the common issues with the Axis (trigger job/changing out that crap bushnell package scope). I know I will not have to upgrade my scope with the 10/110 since it already has a Nikon on it that I'm sure I will be happy with. The scope I upgraded to on my Axis is a Bushnell Trophy XLT. Thank in advance guys! :usa2:

foxx
11-13-2014, 11:42 PM
I'd say the TH package is just fine for typical deer hunting out to 300 yards. The stock is flimsy in the forearm, but not a problem if you don't use a bipod or try to rest rifle on the end of the forearm. I don't care for the Axis style mag, but it's no worse on the TH than it is in the Axis. The Nikon scope is adequate, as well, in my opinion, but your Bushnell XLT might be better than the TH 's Nikon. I would expect 1/2 inch groups with hand loads and 3/4 to 1 inch with the right factory loads. Would not know about factories, though.

evangorp
11-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Very interesting question! With Walmart having 20% off all guns on Black Friday, I am pondering whether a Savage model 10/11 series is a better buy or if you can find the caliber you are looking for if you can get a basic savage axis for $200, put it in a Boyds stock, and aftermarket trigger, you will be in it for less than the 10/11 series guns. Which will shoot better, I don't know! Someone more experienced an answer that

J.Baker
11-14-2014, 02:22 PM
All Savage barrels are made on the exact same machines with all the same tooling, so to think that there's going to be any difference in accuracy simply because one's on an Axis or a TH or a ??? is silly. Even the actions are fundamentally the same as they share so many components and design elements, the difference mainly being the Axis uses one length for all calibers and has a bolt-on tang whereas the others have dedicated long/short actions and integrated tang. The other noticeable difference was the quality of the triggers, but now that the Axis II is fitted with the AccuTrigger it's kind of a wash.

In other words, they're all going to shoot about the same so it really boils down to which one has the features you want (wood or synthetic, cartridge offered, package or no package, which package scope you like better, etc.).

SThomas3791
11-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Very interesting question! With Walmart having 20% off all guns on Black Friday, I am pondering whether a Savage model 10/11 series is a better buy or if you can find the caliber you are looking for if you can get a basic savage axis for $200, put it in a Boyds stock, and aftermarket trigger, you will be in it for less than the 10/11 series guns. Which will shoot better, I don't know! Someone more experienced an answer that
very good point! with the black friday sale and $50 savage rebate that brings a savage axis down to around $160. add a boyds and a decent scope set up and its putting you in under the $500 they are asking for the 10/11. all i do for the trigger is the clicker pen fix and to be honest, i love how that feels. this might just be a better option for me. shoot i may even embelish a bit on the boyds and get some nice checkering or go a little more on glass and bring the total up another $50-100. hmmmmmmm? now i just have 2 weeks to decide what i am gonna do!