PDA

View Full Version : Best factory bullet for trophy hunter xp .25-06

D-Lo
11-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone, new to rifle shooting and decided to make my 111 trophy hunter xp my first hunting rifle. I have put about 60 rounds through the rifle so far trying to become "one with the rifle", zero in the scope, find my groove, and build my confidence for when my time comes in the blind! The two different rounds that I've tried so far are: Remington corlokt 100gr and Federal fusion 120gr. I know I have a couple of "shooter" habits I'm working on such as flinching and whatnot but aside from my physical issues I did notice a much tighter group with the fusion rounds as opposed to the corlokt? I have a couple of buddies that have been shooting rifles a lot longer than I have and since I'm the only one that didn't go with a remington 308 they could not offer any advice regarding my ammo inquiry. They also told me to ask the people that know savage rifles so here I am. Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

p.s
I tried finding this post and read some others along the way (not related) and wow! their is some serious knowledge being passed around here! Im pumped!

olddav
11-13-2014, 03:13 PM
It sounds like your first requirement is to work on the flinch and other problems but the good news is you can do that while trying different ammo. You will find it difficult to shoot a good groups if you are flinching, pulling the trigger etc.....

JTCrl
11-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Beyond the accuracy issue it depends on what you'll be shooting at. Target bullets and hunting bullets are different critters. Are you stuck with factory ammo or will you load your own?

D-Lo
11-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Right now I am limited to factory ammo, strike two is I live in a VERY rural area, Ive been looking online for the ammo, it seems anywhere with a descent price is out of stock. Is that to be expected? does anyone have a "go to place for online purchase"?

thx again guys.

olddav
11-13-2014, 09:36 PM
MidwayUSA has some ammo although it's not all that cheap.

I've looked around a bit, but have not found anything yet. I will offer this one tidbit of info, I have found that Federal Power Shok ammo is pretty good.

D-Lo
11-14-2014, 10:20 AM
what kind of rifle do you shoot, more than 1?

olddav
11-14-2014, 12:47 PM
I've got a couple of different calibers although none are a 25-06 so I not sure how valuable my input is. There is one theme that's repeats on the forum over and over, try lots of different ammo till you find the one that works. After rereading your OP it kind of sounds like you found one our rifle likes. What kind of groups do you get with the Fusion ammo?

At this point I'm hoping that some experienced member will see this and come rescue us both.

darkker
11-14-2014, 02:35 PM
No 2 barrels are ever the same, and factories are constantly changing powders; so there is no ONE ammo that is or isn't something to everyone.

I'm not sure what to say about a flinch from a 25-06... But if you can't hold still, I don't think you can make any determination on ammo yet. Unless you have a tin-can scope with no eye relief, work on trigger control. The rifle isn't going to leap from your arms, it's a 25-06. Get a sandbag, bipod, something. Lay down on the ground prone, and just work on trigger control and not worrying about the recoil.

I haven't shot factory ammo in any of my rifles in a very long time, But I detest Midway. Look at Midshouthshooterssupply, or Natchezss.

mikgarus
11-14-2014, 04:33 PM
You might try these guys.
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/25-06

LHitchcox
11-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Look for some blue box Federal ammo or Hornady American Whitetail. I only shoot handloads these days and my best results are with Hornady 100 grain soft points. Second is a tie between the Nosler Ballistic Tips and Hornady 117 soft points.

JTCrl
11-18-2014, 11:09 AM
I've been shooting a 25-06 with handloads for over 40 years. Once I figured out that the 100gn bullets were the ticket for deer I've never needed a second shot. Mostly shoot Speer SP and Nosler Ballistic Tips. 87/90gn work good for smaller critters, never got the 75gn to shoot acceptably straight in my rifle (Ruger 77). Folks who use the cartridge for elk and moose favor the 117 and 120gn but I found they penetrate too far on deer.