PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99 reloading tips?

ermad
11-13-2014, 08:16 AM
I've recently started reloading after years away from the bench. I want to load some ammo for my Savage 99 in 308 but I'm having trouble finding info. I tried to use the info from the reloading book I have but the suggested OA was too long to feed in the rotary block. I have shot some factory ammo out of it and it worked fine but I think I could do better. I hunt whitetails and bear in Pa so I don't need a really heavy bullet. Any help would be great.

Thanks

jonbearman
11-13-2014, 09:59 AM
It is a suggested oal. In the 99 you have to use physically shorter bullets for the reason you mentioned. Stay away of anything over 180 grains and when seating bullets , set the seater so they will work in the magazine. Keep in mind that you don't want to use a powder that creates a really heavily compressed load. The best bet are flat based or shallow boatails so the bearing surface of the bullet isn't below the neck shoulder junction. My favorites are the 150 and 165 hornady flat based soft points. You can use anyones you prefer though.

Frank V
11-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Once you have gotten the OAL to function through your 99 make up a dummy round label it bullet weight type, & put it with your reloading dies.
I do this regularly. It saves time having to redo everything.