PDA

View Full Version : Dazed and confused. HELP!!

WaterRat
11-13-2014, 03:57 AM
The more I look at the Savage web site the more confused I get. Man who designed that thing?
So I will just post here what I would like to have and get input from you guys.
Cal 223
Heavy or maybe medium weight barrel
Laminated or synthetic
Nice wide flat forearm so it will sit nice in the rest is a must. And it has to be rigid. In my opinion that is Savages biggest down fall is most of the syn stocks are flimsy and flex way to easy.
Would like thumb hole stock but not a must.
Want the lightest Accu trigger I can get or at least one that will get me 1.5 lb or less.
Want a rifle I can pull out of the box mount my optics and have a great shooting gun after I find what it likes to eat. I do hand load.
DONT want one I have to tinker with triggers or bedding the stock.
Will be used for punching paper at 100 to 300 yards. Top notch accuracy is a must ,well as much as I can afford anyway LOL

The 12 BTCSS or 12 VLP DBM would probably fill my needs but they are out of my price range of about $800.00.
If the 10 Precision Carbine had a wide flat forearm and a trigger that would do 1.5 lbs it would work as well.

I was thinking maybe the 12 FV and plan on changing the stock out right away but since the Savage site dosent go into detail about what the trigger will adjust down to or how wide or stiff the stock is I have no idea if that will work.

I already have my optics so that cost will not come out of the $800.00

Just seems like they leave way to much info out for the consumer to make a educated decision about which one they want.

barrel-nut
11-13-2014, 06:29 AM
First off, do not be put off by the MSRP prices quoted on their site. You can probably get most of those rifles for between 2/3 to 3/4 of MSRP with a little searching.
You want something in the "12 Series Varmint" category, or the "Law Enforcement series", or the "Target Rifle Series". The 12 series are very good rifles. I believe they all use the 2 1/2# version of the Accu-trigger.
The Law Enforcement series, use the 1 1/2# Accu-trigger. And the Target series use the Target actions with the 8 oz. Accu-trigger. Browse within those categories till you find what turns your crank, then look for real-world prices on the net.

Also, specialty retailers such as Cabela's and Dick's offer models that are not listed on the Savage site. They are not inferior in any way, just models with feature combinations spec'ed out by the retailers. In fact, I was in a Dick's sporting goods store yesterday and saw a model that pretty well fit your criteria, except that the one they had on hand was a .308. I don't know if it's offered in .223, but it'd be worth checking. It had a synthetic stock in digital camo, with a nice wide flat forend, carbon steel action and fluted barrel painted black, and what appeared to be a LE series action with the desirable top-bolt release, and the quality steel bottom metal and detachable magazine. It was priced at $749. I didn't know this combo existed, and I probably would have bought it if my son hadn't reminded me that I have more guns than I have time to shoot, or even finish, already. Kids...

Edit: I just checked Dick's website and the model I mentioned is only listed in .308. Pity.

Here's one to look closely at:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savagereg-Arms-Model-11-Prairie-Dog-Bolt-Action-Rifles/1791585.uts?No=0&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbolt-action-centerfire-rifles%2Fsavage-arms%2F_%2FN-1114860%2B1000004563%2B4294759052%2FNe-4294759052%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

David R
11-13-2014, 07:12 AM
I shoot a model 25T in 223 and love it.

big honkin jeep
11-13-2014, 05:22 PM
The 10PC I own didn't come with a wide fore end. Pretty sure they were designed to be small and compact. It's a great rifle though.
If you don't mind long and heavy, and can do without a detachable box, the 12BVSS is a really nice rig and should be within your budget. I like mine a lot and it is stupid accurate.

dougbug
11-13-2014, 07:42 PM
I just received my 12FV from Hinterland and the total cost shipped to my FFL was $586.00
So if you look around on the net you will beat the MSRP pretty nicely db

WaterRat
11-16-2014, 10:16 PM
UPDATE
I just pulled the trigger on this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453531882 everyone else was about $100.00 higher for the same gun. I think I did good.

Link should work now if not try http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453199296

barrel-nut
11-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Your link didn't work

dougbug
11-17-2014, 12:05 AM
Yeah said invalid number or something like that. db

WaterRat
11-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Link should work now

JCalhoun
11-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Very cool.