PDA

View Full Version : Choate tactical install and huge poa change and accuracy

jammied
11-13-2014, 01:55 AM
I recently put together a 6.5 creedmoor with a 26" 1-8 twist barrel from the outlet it was built on a .243 fxp action. I was having concerns with the mcgowen barrel as the best I could get was 3/4" groups at 200yds. I opened the barrel channel and bedded the original plastic stock and was kinda luke warm on the mcgown as my factory LRH 6.5 creedmoor will do 1/2" easily at 200. Bfore giving up on it I purchased a choate tactical stock. After the stock install my poa was 8" high at 200yds no other changes. It took a few shots to get on the paper! after I got on the paper I was amazed the difference that the choate made in the group size! It will now easily shoot 3/8" 5 shot groups!! with very little load work. And I thought the bedding I did was pretty good LOL. Never thought a stock would make that kind of difference

D.ID
11-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Love that V-block, They sure do work, That's one of the many reasons there my go to stock.
I am gladd to hear she is working for you.............but not surprised at all.

limige
11-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Wow how do you like the fit and feel of it? I was thinking about buying ome for my win 70 300wsm

jammied
11-14-2014, 07:07 AM
I was a little worried about the palm swell size and weight when I ordered it. It is a little heavier than the original stock but is better balanced now for off hand shooting. With the original stock it felt barrel heavy most of that is gone now and shoulders faster. The palm swell isn't huge by any means and I really like the way it feels. I have a 112bvss 6.5-284 and the bvss stock has alot larger palm swell than the choate. Again the bvss stock seems barrel heavy when trying to shoot off hand. The choate feelas very solid and comfortable to shoot off the rest and is easier to get back on the scope it just feels more natural than the original stock. If that makes sense.

The fit is very good to the action. It just drops right in nice and snug and has a even gap around the barrel and action on the topside. the gap around the topside off the action is less than a 1/16". The barrel channel will make a varmit contour barrel look puney!! There is no chance of the barrel touching it anywhere!

All said and done I can say for me it is very comfortable too shoot and handle. And I am very pleased with the fit and finish.

D.ID
11-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Wow how do you like the fit and feel of it? I was thinking about buying ome for my win 70 300wsm

I don't think they make the "tactical" version for winchesters. The "sniper" version is ridiculously heavy.....7+lbs if I remember correctly.
We have used there "varmint" version on our winchesters.....about a 1/2 lb heavier than the "tactical" and not quite as ergonomic as the tactical but still not bad.
My wife prefers the varmint's feel, I much prefer the tactical's feel myself but accuracy has bean equally solid from either.

limige
11-14-2014, 10:46 PM
They have the Varmint and sniper versions on midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/811710/choate-ultimate-varmint-rifle-stock-winchester-70-short-action-125-barrel-channel-synthetic-black

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2171190971/choate-ultimate-sniper-rifle-stock-winchester-70-125-barrel-channel-synthetic-olive-drab

limige
11-14-2014, 10:47 PM
I wish there was a place to get my hands on different stocks to check out you know!