PDA

View Full Version : Question about Boyds stock for an Axis.

daddyusmaximus
11-12-2014, 09:23 PM
I was given an Axis in .308. I have ordered a boyds stock for it. Now after finding this site, I am thinking of a heavier barrel in the future. I want to see what the factory barrel can do first, but man, it is so skinny. I have also found out while doing break in, the low weight is not good for recoil. I'm feeling this thing needs more mass. My question is,

Are the wood stocks much heavier, and how much work is it to hog out the barrel channel to put a thicker tube on it?

Edzzed
11-13-2014, 02:19 AM
Laminate will add weight to it. I have a Boyd's stock and zero regrets. I dunno how much weight but probably 2-3 lbs

DrThunder88
11-13-2014, 09:40 AM
All Boyds stocks are significantly heavier than the factory plastic, with some, like the tacticool Pro Varmint, weighing a bit more than the rest. The Boyds recoil pad is not as cushy as the Savage factory pad, but it does its job. It's worth saying that most of the rifle's weight, however, will be steel rather than wood or plastic, so more significant changes in overall weight would be through a heavier barrel.

Which style of stock did you get? Only the tacticool, aforementioned Pro Varmint is conducive to typical varmint-weight barrels (among the stocks Boyds makes for the Axis). According to their site, the Classic, Prairie Hunter, and Featherweight Thumbhole, do not have enough meat in the forend to free float the barrel and keep the top rails. It would still be safe and useable, just not attractive.

daddyusmaximus
11-13-2014, 11:57 AM
I ordered the Heritage stock. My goal is to build it up kinda like those fancy hunting rifles I used to lust after in the gun catalogs years ago. I always liked the raised comb, white line spacers, and black tips on those old guns. I don't have to go to a bull barrel. I was looking at the Shilen website and thinking the magnum sporter or the lightweight varmint would perform well and still not be too thick as to spoil the hunter look. Shilen also has a good reputation for making high quality barrels. I will keep the factory Savage barrel if it performs up to snuff, but if it doesn't I'll want to go a bit heavier.

DrThunder88
11-14-2014, 12:11 AM
I didn't think they made the Heritage or Platinum for the Axis. Cool! The Platinum would've been helpful for a recent project.