PDA

View Full Version : .308 to 6mm-250

nockhunter
11-12-2014, 07:36 AM
I have just finished building a 6mm/22-250 on a Stevens .308, and have a couple questions. Do I need to change the extractor? Every few shots the brass doesn't eject, it falls off of the extractor and lays in the action when I cycle the bolt. Do I need to change the magazine follower? The cartridges don't allways feed properly.

Mike

drybean
11-12-2014, 06:51 PM
I would try a larger extractor detent ball first (.140)

bootsmcguire
11-12-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm with Drybean, try the .140" ball first.

As to your feeding issue, you might try stretching the follower spring out a bit to give more tension. If you have a Centerfeed Action, you might look and find a 22-250 magazine. The CF 22-250 mag body has different feed lips from the 308 based mags.

Did you go with a straight 6-250 or the 6mm International (which is a 22-250 necked up to 6mm and has the shoulder pushed back a bit to give it a longer neck) ?

nockhunter
11-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Where do I get a .140" detent ball, and where does it live? I went with a 22-250 necked up to 6mm, and it is a center feed magazine. I may need to look for a 22-250 mag for dependable feeding.

Mike

Rick90Can
11-13-2014, 11:06 AM
I think they are talking about the ball bearing that lives underneath your extractor claw, on the bolt head. My guess is the other posters feel you need to change the ball size to make the extractor have enough tension to grip properly.

Where to get one?? Try your local gunshops, try this website's site sponsors (the ones you see advertising here), between those two groups I'm sure.that.will sort your situation.

Rick90Can
11-13-2014, 11:07 AM
I think they are talking about the ball bearing that lives underneath your extractor claw, on the bolt head. My guess is the other posters feel you need to change the ball size to make the extractor have enough tension to grip properly.

Where to get one?? Try your local gunshops, try this website's site sponsors (the ones you see advertising here), between those two groups I'm sure.that.will sort your situation.

bootsmcguire
11-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Yup correct, the ball bearing detent that is under your extractor. Take the extractor apart inside a clear plastic bag as to not loose the small parts. The balls can be found at bike shops, possibly a hardware store that has a great selection, or at McMaster-Carr.

In a pinch one time I cut apart a shotshell loaded with #4 steel pellets IIRC and used that for a bit as I was out of ball detents and need one ASAP to do some testing. Cant remember if it was oversized to .140" but it was a smidgeon bigger than a factory one, which are .120".