PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing a 12 LRP

bflee
11-11-2014, 04:16 PM
I wanted to ask because I know someone here knows the answer.
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor 12 LRP. As you onow it sports a 26" heavy barrel. While I enjoy it for target shooting and box stand hunting, it is a little large and heavy for stalking or sitting in some of my one man ladder stands. I want to get a 20" 308 barrel to use in those instances. I will probably use it in deer season and put the target barrel back on in the off season. It weighs 15 pounds with the target barrel. How much could I shave the weight with the short barrel? I have a Marlin xlvh 308 that was 26" and I cut it to 20" myself and I really use it more than the Savage now because of that. I use the Marlin as my truck gun as it is cheap and so is the scope. I want something in that style, but with my Vortex PST 6-24x50 that I can hunt with. I dont want to buy another rifle as I love this one. (the trigger and accuracy are awesome) Who would you recommend barrel wise? I am not looking for a target barrel, but a good hunter.

BoilerUP
11-11-2014, 04:32 PM
You could always simply cut the Creed barrel back to 20"; you'd only lose 25fps/inch and quite possibly less, while losing at LEAST a pound of weight and gaining a lot in balance/handling.

If you are set on a new barrel, I highly recommend Apache Gun Works.

bflee
11-11-2014, 10:23 PM
I like the Creedmoor, but some say it needs the length. I dont know. I would love to shorten it and get it down to 10 pounds somehow! With the 1" barrel at the muzzle I think it would shed a good chunk with 6". That piece I cut off the Marlin really surprized me with how much it weighed. It balanced it well and it is 9 pounds now.

BoilerUP
11-11-2014, 10:24 PM
I don't think you'll get it down to 10...but I think you'll probably shed at least 1.5lb.

I had a 20" 260 and 2700fps with 140s was easily achieved with moderate loads; I've little doubt the Creedmoor is capable of the same.

bflee
11-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanks Boilerup.
I guess the flutes going all the way to the end would look ok!
I may go that route.

bflee
11-11-2014, 11:33 PM
Who would you get to do it? I cut the marlin and recrowned with a brass screw and a drill. I am not so sure I want to do a $900 dollar gun though!