PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a nice, inexpensive .22 target semi-auto pistol

andrews10
11-11-2014, 03:55 AM
I know this is a S/G forum but we also shoot pistols and rifles.
My trusty Browning Buckmark target pistol was stolen last year and the S&W model 22 replacement proved a disaster. S&W is going to repair it for free as it is under warranty. (I recommend registering new guns with the manufacture, it makes things a lot easier when they frack up) I am selling the S&W after I proof-test it.
I am in the market for a new .22 semi-auto target pistol. Currently there are several mass-marketed pistols of the type available. I have a candidate in mind, but am open to ideas. 500 bucks is about the price point I am looking at. Does anyone have some suggestions?
http://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

J.Baker
11-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Still think the Ruger MK I/II/III series pistols are about the best out there for a 22 semi-auto. Yeah they're kind of a PITA to tear down and put back together, but they're dead-nuts accurate and there's a plethora of aftermarket parts available for them. The newer 22/45 models even have a more familiar 1911 grip angle if you don't care for the traditional Luger-like grip angle.

Stork
11-11-2014, 12:20 PM
andrews10,
I agree with J.Baker with the following addition. I'd lean towards either the MKI or MKII, if you can find a used one that is. The MKIII's have been a bit more problematic than either of it's predecessors.

I'm an avid Bullseye shooter and own and shoot a multitude of High Standards, Marvel conversions, and a few Ruger MKII's. I Ransom test every one of them with a variety of target ammo, and have yet to find one of the MKII's target models(I've tested over a dozen) that won't group at 2" or better at 50 yards with any good target ammo (not the best target ammo, just good stuff). Usually it's in the area of 1-1 1/2". My best shooting has always been with the Rugers, albeit they have all had trigger jobs. That's the only modification I insist upon.

As J. mentioned there's a bunch of aftermarket stuff available, but as I mentioned the trigger should be addressed. If you're not shooting 100's with a Ruger, you can't blame the pistol.

Stork
Distinguished Pistol Expert#1298

jonbearman
11-11-2014, 02:03 PM
You would be advised that the ruger MK II is the one or the MK III ,the MK I has fixed sites and I don't like them. The other gun you would like is a high standard with the push button barrel release, They are absolute tack drivers. I have a supermatic citation with an earlier Hamden connecticut barrel(earlier address) and it way more accurate then my skills. The other if you could afford it would be a smith model 41.

thomae
11-13-2014, 02:33 PM
If you ever run across a Baikal IZH-35 at a reasonable price, I'd snap it up. It's a little known, unusual-looking (some have characterized it as "ugly" but I disagree) Russian pistol that will shoot better than just about anything except a true Olympic-class pistol. I'd rank it up there with a fully tweaked S&W 41 .

Although this is my personal opinion, I speak from experience, I do own and shoot Ruger the MkII, S&W 41, IZH-35, as well as Hammerli 208 and 280.

For relatively inexpensive, relatively indestructible, reliable, and accurate .22LR, especially for a non-competitor, I'd agree with the recommendation for the Ruger. I prefer the MkII myself.

Jamie
11-16-2014, 01:02 PM
.....My trusty Browning Buckmark target pistol was stolen last year

I bought a Buckmark Camper for my daughter to shoot and like it so much after the first magazine, I went and purchased another for me. Both are extremely accurate and reliable. My shooting buddy has a Ruger and it is as accurate and reliable as the browning so no knocks there, well, until you have to take the Ruger apart to clean it.

D.ID
11-16-2014, 01:38 PM
I know you had trouble with a S&W, a newer model?
I am a huge fan of the long discontinued 422 and 622. Accurate, reliable and you can put a can on them and still use the regular sights without obstruction.
Aside from that I would probably and maybe even begrudgingly fall back to the ruger.

Stockrex
11-18-2014, 04:22 PM
walther p22, my daughter and I shot a few of them, works for me.

JCalhoun
11-19-2014, 09:37 AM
I have been using a S&W 22S target model for several years and never had any issues with it. I'm curious what your problems were.