PDA

View Full Version : Boyds stock opinions wanted

Pages : [1] 2

Redandwhite_72
11-10-2014, 10:06 PM
I have a 110 centerfeed with a varmint contour barrel.

So now I'm thinking about getting the boyds pro varmint stock now that you can order it in colored laminate off their website. So what I'm wanting opinions on is, for a top bolt release 110, they offer centerfeed only in sporter contour barrels. But they offer staggered feed in both sporter and bull contours. So do I buy a centerfeed stock and enlarge the barrel channel or a staggered feed stock and find a way to mount the magazine in it?

BarrelBurner
11-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Enlarging the barrel channel is fairly easy,
so I would suggest going that route.

Redandwhite_72
11-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Yeah. I've done that before. Just didn't know which would be the easiest.

charb52
11-10-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm in the exact same spot you are and I'm hoping that phone call when I order will solve the problem since it says that they are made to order anyway. I'm planning on calling anyway because that coyote laminate one the rifle in the 338edge build thread is badass but its not listed in there colors. But if they wont make it center feed with a bull barrel channel I will be enlarging the barrel channel myself with a dowel and some sand paper

BarrelBurner
11-11-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm in the exact same spot you are and I'm hoping that phone call when I order will solve the problem since it says that they are made to order anyway. I'm planning on calling anyway because that coyote laminate one the rifle in the 338edge build thread is badass but its not listed in there colors. But if they wont make it center feed with a bull barrel channel I will be enlarging the barrel channel myself with a dowel and some sand paper

Charb52, I just checked and they still offer the Coyote Laminate like I did for my .338 Edge. It's not in the color gallery for what ever reason, but it you do all the selections it will take you to the price page. Then click on "custom and laser options" and the Coyote laminate is the very last color choice.

Redandwhite_72
11-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Charb52, I just checked and they still offer the Coyote Laminate like I did for my .338 Edge. It's not in the color gallery for what ever reason, but it you do all the selections it will take you to the price page. Then click on "custom and laser options" and the Coyote laminate is the very last color choice.

How did you pick which color to go with? When I look online they look nothing like what other people have posted on the internet.

charb52
11-11-2014, 10:50 PM
How did you pick which color to go with? When I look online they look nothing like what other people have posted on the internet.

Barrelburner explains it in his post above

Redandwhite_72
11-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Barrelburner explains it in his post above

I see how to order the colors. I'm just torn on which color to get. When I see actual photos of the colors they look nothing like the samples on boyds website. And it seems like no 2 stocks are the same even being the same color. Is it just a crap shoot on getting a color I'll like?

BarrelBurner
11-11-2014, 11:41 PM
I see how to order the colors. I'm just torn on which color to get. When I see actual photos of the colors they look nothing like the samples on boyds website. And it seems like no 2 stocks are the same even being the same color. Is it just a crap shoot on getting a color I'll like?

I wasnt sure if the Coyote was going to do it for me or not so my back up plan was to have it dipped (hydro graphics) if i didnt like it.

But you are right about it being a crap shoot to some degree. I ordered a pepper color stock for my 280ai and it looks awesome, so I bought one in the same color for another rifle and wasn't even close to being the same so I sold it a few days later.
Then again I ordered two others in the forest camo and they are very close to the same colors. It is wood still though so it will have some variance to how it reacts to stain.

Redandwhite_72
11-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Then again I ordered two others in the forest camo and they are very close to the same colors. It is wood still though so it will have some variance to how it reacts to stain.

How did you like the forest camo? In some pics I think it looks great. In others, not so much. Not sure how it'd look in the pro varmint/tacticool. And I guess you're right, if I don't like it I could always paint.

I think I'm down to deciding between nutmeg and forest camo. I may just tell the wife to pick one when/if she gets me the stock for Christmas.

upSLIDEdown
11-12-2014, 01:26 AM
I'm building a 111 round back, and went with the centerfeed stock as well. Just going to enlarge the barrel channel. I had to do that on my last Axis build anyway, so it's not a big deal. Especially when you have a buddy with a mill. lol

I had a really hard time picking a color too. I have two black tacticools already. Wanted this one to be a little flashier. Decided on Applejack. Should be bright. lol

Redandwhite_72
11-12-2014, 06:56 PM

I called boyds today. They said what's on the website is what they offer. So no centerfeed with a bull barrel channel. So I guess I'm going to have to do it by hand when I ever get one.

charb52
11-12-2014, 09:35 PM
I called boyds today. They said what's on the website is what they offer. So no centerfeed with a bull barrel channel. So I guess I'm going to have to do it by hand when I ever get one.
thanks for letting me know

BarrelBurner
11-12-2014, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Redandwhite_72;288891]How did you like the forest camo? In some pics I think it looks great. In others, not so much. Not sure how it'd look in the pro varmint/tacticool. And I guess you're right, if I don't like it I could always paint.

I think I'm down to deciding between nutmeg and forest camo. I may just tell the wife to pick one when/if she gets me the stock for Christmas.[/QUOTE

I think the Forest Camo is pretty sharp.
I gotta laugh though, that's pretty much how I ended up with this last stock. I asked my wife to pick the one she liked the best of the colors I'd narrowed it down to.

This is the last one I ordered. I think the first one I ordered is a little bit nicer, the layers are a bit tighter on it similar to the color patches they have on the Boyd's site .
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/glennbom/20140430_205955_zps73912219.jpg

Redandwhite_72
11-12-2014, 11:38 PM
I gotta laugh though, that's pretty much how I ended up with this last stock. I asked my wife to pick the one she liked the best of the colors I'd narrowed it down to.

This is the last one I ordered. I think the first one I ordered is a little bit nicer, the layers are a bit tighter on it similar to the color patches they have on the Boyd's site .
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/glennbom/20140430_205955_zps73912219.jpg

That is definitely sharp. I do like it.

daddyusmaximus
11-13-2014, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE=Redandwhite_72;288891]How did you like the forest camo? In some pics I think it looks great. In others, not so much. Not sure how it'd look in the pro varmint/tacticool. And I guess you're right, if I don't like it I could always paint.

I think I'm down to deciding between nutmeg and forest camo. I may just tell the wife to pick one when/if she gets me the stock for Christmas.[/QUOTE

Did you hog that out for the barrel, or did it come that way? I just ordered a stock from them, but I ordered it normal as I want to see what the factory barrel can do first. Just wondering how difficult it is to widen the barrel channel, in case I end up going with a thicker tube down the road.

barrel-nut
11-13-2014, 03:01 AM
Provided you have enough width in the forearm edges to work with, widening the barrel channel is really not that difficult. All it takes is some 80 grit sandpaper, the appropriate sized wooden dowel, and a lot of elbow grease. Top it off with the wood finish of your choice.

Redandwhite_72
11-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Provided you have enough width in the forearm edges to work with, widening the barrel channel is really not that difficult. All it takes is some 80 grit sandpaper, the appropriate sized wooden dowel, and a lot of elbow grease. Top it off with the wood finish of your choice.

Surely the pro varmint has enough meat on the edges. The forearm flares out from around the barrel nut to the end.

daddyusmaximus
11-13-2014, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Redandwhite_72;288891]

This is a beautiful looking rifle. What stock is that? The photos on their site were crappy and don't show the gun, just the stock. Kinda hard to tell how it will look by a tiny photo of a bare stock. I ordered the Heritage. Can hardly wait for it to come. That barrel looks real nice too. Who makes it? Where did you get it? What profile is it? How does it shoot? Do you have a build thread on this gun?

limige
11-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Here is my pepper laminate classic with added end caps and checkering.

Love it

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/13/c7ee2ad8ff40f7246d4e92b37766924d.jpg