PDA

View Full Version : High gloss stock

Curtis
11-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Got my new factory savage 111 stock in mail today from Numrich stock is a beautiful walnut but on satin side what is best way to get high gloss shine. Do I need to strip it first or light sand and use a poly spray?

olddav
11-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Tru-Oil
Scuff up the stock with 0000 steel wool before applying and between each coat. Tru-Oil cost approx $4.00 for a small bottle and goes a long way, enough for a few of stocks.

jpdown
11-10-2014, 09:37 PM
+1 on Tru-Oil Gunstock Finish. Apply coats until you get the gloss finish you want. It will be easier to touch up in the long run.

BarrelBurner
11-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Homer Forby's Tung Oil is available in High Gloss, it's applied the same way as the Tru Oil but yields a higher gloss. I've used both but the Formby's more resembles a Poly finish than Tru Oil if that's what you are looking for. Both are good products.

Curtis
11-11-2014, 09:52 AM
The wet high gloss finish is what I am seeking.

Curtis
11-11-2014, 09:55 AM
If I was to use any form of poly spray , what would be best way to star with stock other then light sanding. Any treatment needed.

foxx
11-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Maybe wash first with dish detergent and water so as to be certain any grease from long term storage is removed. Then sand lightly and evenly. I don't recommend a spray, though. It is likely to go on too thick and get bubbles, etc.

I truly prefer Tru-oil. Apply very little amount with your fingers/palms and let dry 24 hours or so between coats. I usually apply 2-3 coats before re-sanding lightly with steel wool or a white, soft abrasive pad. Then apply more coats, always letting it dry a day or more between coats. If you wan to speed up the process, apply (rub in) a light coat of Armor-all after each coat of Tru-oil. It will dry in about 2 hours and therefore really speed up the process. You can do a search for different ways to do this, but I have had MUCH better luck apply the Tru-oil first, then spray the Armor all lightly and rub it in till it is almost dry. (few minutes) Set aside a couple hours , repeat. repeat. Lightly sand/buff with 0000 steel wool or the white pad. Repeat as often as you like. It might amaze you when you're done. :)

If you do the armor-all thing, be sure to only use it with Tru-oil. I am not sure why, but it works. Some have said the two work together kind of like a 2 part epoxy.

Curtis
11-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Sounds good , have done lots reading and decided to go with the Tru-oil.

Delaware_Ken
11-12-2014, 07:46 PM
I took my stock to a local body shop to have it finished with clear coat. Since the last step in painting a vehicle is applying clear coat, all they did was hang the stock up next to the car they were painting and hit the stock with a coat of clear coat after they finished painting the vehicle. After 7 coats of clear coat, they charged me $35 for the work. I gladly paid them $50, and the stock looks great.

Ken