PDA

View Full Version : Accu-trigger problem

Kill N Grill
11-10-2014, 08:01 AM
I adjusted the rigger to the lightest adjustment. I was aware of the issue of the sear engaging when cocking. But I tried it and it worked with no problem for several hundred rounds. Then it started to act up and I would have to operated the bolt to get it set. It was just an occasional thing that grew more frequent. So the other day I took it out of the stock and reset the adjustment. Operating the bolt 20 times or so with out a failure. I stick it in the stock and find that my socket for my torque wrench is missing. So I snug down the action with a WAG to being equal on all screws. Go back to shoot and trigger is locked up. Run the bolt a couple times and its good to go. Several shots later it locks up again and takes several cycles to rest. Remove from stock again and adjust the trigger to max and reinstall. same problem. Now I figured out if I uncock the bolt and put the safety on and then eject a shell then close the bolt it works flawless every time. Not the ideal way to have t operate a rifle but it is working. This is a model 11 308 with the bottom bolt release and wedge style accu stock. The only thing changed on the rifle is the bolt handle. Today I am picking up a new socket to get the action set properly. If that doesn't work I am going to reinstall the factory bolt handle. The one on it has been on there for years. Any Ideas? Is it time to get a rifle basics and be done?

foxx
11-10-2014, 08:26 AM
I am confused. You should not be able to put the safety to the "safe" position with the bolt uncocked. i.e. if you "fire" the rifle, and move the safety to "safe" position before lifting the bolt handle so as to recock it, there is something wrong with the safety. If it were mine, I would take the whole thing apart and clean, degrease and then grease/oil lightly and reassemble. If I am not "up to that task" I would take it to a smith.

Kill N Grill
11-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I may not have been real clear on that. What is happening is. I fire a round. If I cycle the bolt as normal The blade in the trigger will not move. I may have to uncock the bolt a couple times for it to reset properly. But if I fire a round and lift the bolt up but not pull it back and then put the safety on it will eject when I pull it back. When I chamber the next round I then can turn the safety off and fire when ready. Doing it this way it never fails to reset. When the action is out of the stock I can cycle it 50 times with no failure.

foxx
11-10-2014, 07:04 PM
I am still not "getting it". However, one thing is clear: If everything works fine outside of the stock, then something in/about the stock is interfering. What stock is it? It may need some relief/inletting to clear the way for the mechanisms to work properly.

olddav
11-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Agreed.
(Just trying to show support)

MrMajestic
11-10-2014, 10:25 PM
I know what your saying as I had the same issue on an accutrigger however mine did it in and out of the stock. It is a silver blade and was set to minimum and worked great then all of a sudden became very light and wouldn't reset. It appeared that the spring was not connected correctly and after adjusting it ,with the plastic Q-tip they give you, several times the complete range it straightened out. I don't trust it and will be replacing it with a RB Sav-2 or one of Fred's directly. Sorry no help but empathy!

Kill N Grill
11-10-2014, 11:42 PM
It's a factory model 11 accu stock with the wedge to lock down the recoil lug. It's a factory rifle except for bolt handle. Trigger will not reset. sear will not reset when operating the bolt. what I have to do to reset the trigger/sear is with the bolt closed on the chamber. Raise the bolt handle up but not back. pull the safety back to the safe position. Then bring the bolt back. I can now push it forward to chamber another round. The trigger/sear will now operate normally. If I don't set the safety before cycling the bolt the trigger/sear will not reset to firing position.
Mr M, I will check the spring. Thanks

foxx
11-11-2014, 12:19 AM
No advice for ya, but I am impressed you were able to figure out how to make it work!

I still think there is a problem with the stock, or it wouldn't work alright when removed from the stock... Unless the blade's return spring is stretched-out or deformed somehow so as to be hitting the stock. Can't figure how that could happen, though.

Just for kicks, try removing the blade and its spring and see if everything works right while in the stock... while you're at it, inspect the blade to be sure it isn't bent or twisted somehow. It's such a simple design, I can't imagine why it would do what you're saying. Unless it's gummed up with grime or old, hardened oil or something.

Maybe a weak, mis-installed sear spring?? Bent sear?? Bent sear pin??

short round
11-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Is sear return spring missing or deformed. If you have adjustment for trigger stop it may need adjusted, not enough travel will cause sear to drag on trigger.

Kill N Grill
11-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the help

Kill N Grill
11-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Took it apart and cycled the action many times. it finally started happening out of the stock. Figured out the problem. The trigger spring had come out of the hole in the tang. Hence very little trigger tension. Similar to setting trigger too light causing the trigger/sear problem.

strut64
11-13-2014, 11:11 AM
KnG, I found a similar problem with my accu trigger. I got a replacement target spring from Gun Shack. the next step for me is to get a Rifle Basix replacement. I am still not happy with the accu trigger even with the new target spring.

scpaul
11-23-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm a little late on this one but did it start when or just after the bolt handle was changed? Who changed the bolt handle. I'm thinking about the engagement to the firing pin from the trigger assy. You might look up that trigger adjustment and adjust it from scratch. Just WAG's, hope you have already got it, Paul