PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 11 VT

D-Nasty
11-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Guys,

First time posting here. I am wanting a prairie dog/predator rifle chambered in 22-250. Today at Dick's, I came across a Savage 11 VT that was priced at $550, marked down to $499 then a $75 mail in rebate. This puts the rifle at around $470 after tax and rebate. It comes with a cheapo Bushnell scope that would likely be replaced and a pretty flimsy stock.

Whatever I get, I realistically won't be that demanding. Just looking for something that will be able to ride around behind the seat of the pickup and shoot coyotes/prairie dogs whenever I get time to go. Maybe one day I'll build off of the rifle. I'll most certainly replace the scope at some point as well. But it is nice to have a ready to shoot rifle straight out of the box in the meantime.

Is this a good deal on this rifle?

Are there better options for the money?

Is this rifle a shooter or is it one to be avoided?

Thanks

darkker
11-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Is this a good deal on this rifle?

Are there better options for the money?

Is this rifle a shooter or is it one to be avoided?

Thanks

1) Do you think it is? You can look them up on gun genie/grabagun/etc/etc as easy as we can. Personally, I've dealt with Savage shenanigans long enough; to me that is rather over-priced.
2) Again, to me, yes. If you like the DIY notion of savages, then buy the same for less. Buy the Stevens, a Marlin X7 or Remington's X7 (model 78-something) they all take the same barrels, can all change bolt heads.
3) I've never shot that rifle, it's still at the store; so I can't tell you. Savage has always had the ability to make real shooters, that's why "new" people "know" Savages are shooters. Savage has always (& still does) have the ability to turn-out some absolute streaming piles! Pay your money and take your chance, or buy a rifle that offers a guarantee.

Klondike
11-14-2014, 06:44 AM
I think the Dicks special is a good rifle platform but if you wait with the $75 you can buy for $400 - at my local Dicks they have run a special on this rifle already at that price point. The Dicks package for $400 in 308 with a 26" barrel is a good rifle. Has DBM and I don't think the factory stock is all that bad.

I do agree with darrker that savage is a safe bet for cheap accuracy but there is no guarantee.

Plowdaddy519
11-28-2014, 12:39 AM
I have one in .308, it's the best shooting rifle I've ever owned. It consistently shoots 1" and under groups @ 100yds off a bipod with it's favorite factory ammo, still topped with the cheapo package scope on it, and I'm honestly not the greatest shot with a rifle.