PDA

View Full Version : Axis II XP update

bigkahuna
11-07-2014, 12:59 PM
I bought an Axis II XP (.223) a few weeks back mostly because the Savage MK II (.22lr bull barrel) I got last year I think is an amazing rifle (for the price). Although I think my Axis II will eventually become the rifle I was hoping for when I bought it, it did come with some issues which IMO make it much less of a value than the MK II I bought last year:

1. The stock - It's not a bad looking stock and the fit is pretty decent, but it flexes very easily and feels cheap. The stock for the smaller caliber MK II is more solid and rigid. I'm on the road to fixing this. Bought a Boyds thumbhole stock, which fixes the flex, and will do some tweaks to the stock so it fits me better.

2. Savage QC - When I went to remove the stock scope (in preparation for my new Vortex that arrives on Monday) I noticed something a bit off. The front ring was mounted in such a way that only a quarter of the ring was actually connected to the rifle! See illustration below.

3. The magazine - But my absolute biggest gripe with the Axis II is that darn magazine. I have no issues loading it (as others seem to have) but getting it to properly seat in the bottom of the receiver is difficult, and once in place it still seems to move. But even once I think I have it in place, rounds occasionally don't load properly. I hope to either buy a sled or make one, which I hope will fix this. If it doesn't is there anything a good gunsmith can do to fix the loading issues?

http://i58.tinypic.com/2v8jtz4.jpg

pisgah
11-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Regarding the magazine, this may not be your problem, but...

Two friends have had the same problem, and in each case the fix was the same. I pointed out that the proper way to insert the mag was to angle the rear of the mag in first, then swing the front end up to snap in place. "Problem" solved. (I also hinted that their rifles had come with owner's manuals for a reason.)

bigkahuna
11-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Regarding the magazine, this may not be your problem, but...

Two friends have had the same problem, and in each case the fix was the same. I pointed out that the proper way to insert the mag was to angle the rear of the mag in first, then swing the front end up to snap in place. "Problem" solved. (I also hinted that their rifles had come with owner's manuals for a reason.)

That's how I'm doing it. I did notice that when I replaced the original stock with Boyds, the issue became a bit worse. Today I tried inserting an empty (no ammo) magazine it seemed to work properly, with a clear "click" when the magazine locked in. With ammo in the magazine, it doesn't do that. I wonder if there might be something I can do to the magazine, stock or both to make it work better with ammo?

zippyhuntin
11-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Today I tried inserting an empty (no ammo) magazine it seemed to work properly, with a clear "click" when the magazine locked in. With ammo in the magazine, it doesn't do that.

If you're inserting the mag with the bolt closed, try it with the bolt open.

bigkahuna
11-09-2014, 11:40 AM

I do it with the bolt open. With the bolt closed (and ammo in the magazine) the magazine won't seat at all.

savage2014
11-09-2014, 06:48 PM
So I am not the only one with QC issues then. My Axis II XP in 223 came with a scope ring that was not sitting properly on the rail. The front rail screw and the screw hole on the receiver were stripped too. I think this will be my first and last savage product.

bigkahuna
11-09-2014, 10:02 PM
...I think this will be my first and last savage product.

If this Axis were my first Savage purchase I might feel the same way you do, but having already bought a Savage Mk II last year (for around $200) and having shot my son's 10/110 several times, I can tell you that they have made some good products. It's just that the Axis doesn't seem to be one of them (or at least it isn't without a bit of post-purchase modification).

MoToad
12-05-2014, 12:31 PM
BigK.
In regards to the mag, mine was exactly the same as yours. The seller (Cabelas) said I had to purchase a replacement and when it arrived use the return label to send the old one back for a refund. Bull**** on a brand new product but I kowtowed. And when the new arrived, I, for the life of me, could not see any noticeable difference between the two. But it snapped in snugly. Go figure. (correct loading procedure followed)

savage2014
12-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Regarding the QC issues, I ordered a Camo version and a black was delivered. I immediately called the seller and they double checked the serial number which was supposed to be Camo. It also came with a scope ring (rear) that was only partially sitting on the rail. Maybe this has something to do with the scope reticule being canted. When i removed the rails so I can change it to a new one, the front most thread of the hole was stripped, same with it's screw.

Calling savage was very easy though, and the Stock and scope were quickly replaced. I got to keep the black magazine too. And oh, I got a little discount from the seller as well.

Thing is though, the new scope has a smaller objective lens, the quick focus ring also does not focus the reticule as clear as the previous one.

I will just keep it, us it, wait for it to die and just buy a better glass.

daddyusmaximus
12-05-2014, 11:18 PM
This seems like a sucky thing to have to do. What if you don't want a round chambered yet? I have an Axis in .308 and have never had to insert the mag with the bolt open. Got a Boyd's stock coming too. Hope this doesn't happen to mine.

daddyusmaximus
12-05-2014, 11:20 PM
That scope mount is all kinds of wrong. Wow.

bigkahuna
12-08-2014, 11:24 PM
That scope mount is all kinds of wrong. Wow.

I went to the LGS where I bought my Axis and was explaining the issues to the salesman, so he grabbed one off the shelf and, sure enough, that one was mounted the same way. If you look at the scope, rings and rail, there isn't any way to mount it correctly. So rather than spend a couple bucks on a proper rail, they ship them with the front ring only half connected. Cheezy.

I'm happy to report that after investing in a Picatinny rail, Vortex scope, Boyds stock and harris bipod, I have the rifle to just about where I want it. You know what that means, right? Time to start shopping for another one. ;)

daddyusmaximus
12-08-2014, 11:32 PM
The Axis my wife got me came with a Tasco scope, and it's mounted properly. It will, however go to live on a 10/22 and be replaced by a Votrex.

MoToad
01-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Mine was mounted properly. You might notice that the slots in the rails are offset and should be facing in to each other. You also have the choice of flipping them around if that makes it work. But, my first description is the proper way.