PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Scat ID!!

thermaler
11-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Went hunting in the woods recently after a major snow storm mostly cause I wanted to get valuable track info from the snow. Found what I believe are bedding areas with some green oval scat in them--not like any deer scat I've seen anywhere else before. Most of the tracks I found in the snow appeared to be pawed with toes--though the freeze/thaw cycle made it hard to see precise definition. I came upon an older tree blow-down which next too it's up-ended root structure there was a motherload of scat piles--some several inches deep, 1/2 foot wide and consisting of over 50 individual green oval pellets. There were a half dozen such piles--some of which were obviously old--but one or too that looked "slimy-glistening" fresh. I'm at a complete loss as to what animals may be doing this as I have never seen anything like this in the woods before. The area is in coastal Maine--very heavy woods but not far from settlements. I know the subject of scat inevitably will degrade into jokes--but please--serious help will be appreciated!

sharpshooter
11-07-2014, 03:31 PM
I guess it's safe to say that you don't know @#$%!;)

thermaler
11-07-2014, 03:53 PM
I guess it's safe to say that you don't know @#$%!;)

True--though I was hoping for a better response. Anyways I've narrowed down the possibilities to most likely porcupine scat.

foxx
11-07-2014, 06:16 PM
no pics?

thermaler
11-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Didn't have a camera with me--but have already figured out the chances are very good I had come upon a porcupine den.

foxx
11-07-2014, 08:40 PM
They are awful! We kill them every chance we get. Far too many of them around our camp. They absolutely destroy anything made of plywood (read: blinds). Apparently the glue is irresistible to them.

And, in your case, they seem to be very fond of some kind of green vegetation around there. LOL

I've seen a lot of their scat, it is nasty ****, but I've never seen any green varieties. :)

thermaler
11-08-2014, 09:15 AM
They are awful! We kill them every chance we get. Far too many of them around our camp. They absolutely destroy anything made of plywood (read: blinds). Apparently the glue is irresistible to them.

And, in your case, they seem to be very fond of some kind of green vegetation around there. LOL

I've seen a lot of their scat, it is nasty ****, but I've never seen any green varieties. :)They like dining on pine trees--no shortage of those in Maine.

thermaler
11-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Do they affect deer populations one way or another? I saw almost no deer tracks in the snow--and tons of pawed buggars.

243LPR
11-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Where I used to hunt we had an old school bus as a sorta base camp with a wood stove and we'd meet there for lunch. Porkie ate everything that was rubber on that thing. Tires,all wiring under the hood,steering wheel-gone. They can be quite destructive.

dpowers311
11-16-2014, 08:20 PM
One of the deer I shot Saturday had green scat.
Dave

foxx
11-17-2014, 09:46 AM
One of the deer I shot Saturday had green scat.
Dave

Must've been eating porcupines!

handirifle
12-05-2014, 02:47 AM
Nope not porcupines, it's little aliens! Snow just scares the #$=&t of of them. I bet it glowed at nite too.