PDA

View Full Version : Worried about bedding a rifle with a detachable box magazine...

Dirty Jim
11-06-2014, 11:10 PM
I am nearly ready to do my first ever bedding job but have one question that I have yet to find an answer for. I read a post on another site that mentioned a possible problem with DBM alignment after bedding but he did not elaborate. I can see the potential for feed problems if the action is raised substantially, but is this really an issue? If so, what steps are necessary to avoid problems? The rifle I will be working on is a Savage Model 11.

I searched the forums for an entire evening but did not find any pertinent information. If this has been addressed on another thread, I apologize and would love a link to the discussion!

Thanks!
Dirty Jim

BarrelBurner
11-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Leave about an 1/8" of stock material at current height just adjacent to and inline with the action screw holes. Relieve the rest of inletted area. This will maintain the original action depth.
Do a search for Richard Franklin/ bedding rifle- if I recall there is a pic related to this.

Dirty Jim
11-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Simple enough...I was definitely overthinking this. Thanks a bunch!

missed
11-07-2014, 01:58 PM
The way I do mine is prefit the pillars so they are the correct height, then when you do the bedding job you know the pillars are supposed to be flush with the bottom of the stock so when you push it into the bedding material push until the pillars are flush and your good to go. I cheat now and carve all the wood out and use aluminum bedding blocks.