PDA

View Full Version : Scope for varmint hunting...

USAF_TRobertson
04-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Trying to build a budget varmint rifle...

This will go on a Savage 10 FP in .223. I will be target shooting about 50% of the time and hunting groundhogs and coyotes the other 50%. Farthest shots I will probably make will be 300 yds. Majority will likely be in the 150 - 250 range. I am considering three scopes right now...

1) Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm
2) Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 6-18x 50mm
3) Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 6-24x 40mm Adjustable

Let me know what your thoughts are...

Also, if I go with a 50mm will I need to get the higher scope rings in order to clear the barrell?

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I just took a Vortex Crossfire 6-24 Mil Dot on a varmint hunt this weekend. Not as nice and clear as my Bushnell Elite's but it did the job well and the mil dot reticle was helpful in the 30 MPH winds at 300 yards! We made a few decent shots despite the wind.

The price isn't bad $220 shipped. Just check out the tracking with a bore sighter as soon as you get the scope. I had one that didn't track well and replaced it with this one which tracks true through the entire range on the windage and the elevation.

possum1
04-18-2010, 10:49 PM
I have a Simmons whitetail classic and the eye relief sucks, kinda gotta get up on the rifle.

bootsmcguire
04-18-2010, 11:06 PM
The Bushnells seem to be decent, as I have looked through a couple of my buddy's. Me personally, I like the Tru-Glo Varmint scopes. They offer several different models and recticles in 6-24x44 and x50, and several in 8-32x44 (and maybe 50mm I can't remember on that one). They also offer illuminated recticles (if you like those). I have a 8-32x44 and a 6-24x50 on 22-250 and 308 Model 12FV respectively (both non-illuminated). So far I have no complaints. Seem to be plenty clear for a scope in even a slightly higher price range, they have the vernier style turrets, and so far I can click all over they always go back to zero just fine. They also have 3in and 5in sunshades available for another 9 bucks. I got both of mine from www.natchezss.com for under $60 each. So far I have been very happy. The only downside I have noticed is in sub-freezing weather the AO adjust gets a little stiff.

lostart
04-19-2010, 12:51 AM
I have looked at those banners. They are pretty good, except for in the higher powers, they get really dark. In the low to med powers they seem decent. Look at the vortex like another member mentioned. I haven't tried them personally, but it seems they get good reviews and reputation.

mopar440
04-19-2010, 03:48 AM
i had a bushnell banner 3-9x50 it was not as clear as my millet it did hold zero but i love my millet its the best i have owned i have 3 tasco and 2 simmons and cheap burris i like it better the my brothers leup rifleman and so does he its monster of a scope though

as far as rings it depends on maker of them and base and barrel contour a 50mm will require a higher ring than 40 but do the math before you buy them midway list most of the hieghts and i would check the maker too midways info is sometimes wrong

if plan changing to heavier barrel keep this in mind too

USAF_TRobertson
04-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Does anyone have any of the above mentioned scopes on their rifles?

If so can you let me know how you like it and what rings/bases you used/recommend?

possum1
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
As I posted, have the Simmons. EGW tactical base 0 moa w/ Burris low ZEE rings. Work's for me.

USAF_TRobertson
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
After much deliberation I have decided to try out the Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 6-18x 50mm. I plan on putting this on my Savage 10FP (.223).

Can anyone let me know what rings would work best (that I could order on Midway) or what they would recommend? I am a bit confused as to what the different measurements need to be, the difference in scope rings, etc.

This will be a "value/budget" rifle so please keep that in mind!

Appreciate it!

laportecharlie
04-21-2010, 01:08 PM
With a 50mm objective I'm pretty sure you will need high rings. My first and only choice is Burris Signature rings.
If you haven't already committed to the 6X18 Banner I would suggest a Bushnell 3200 series instead. Much better scope.
Charlie

pa hog
04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
better scope than the bnner, less money on clearance

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

Get the best scope you can afford though.

USAF_TRobertson
04-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Wow I didn't know that scope was on sale for such a good deal. Think I will definetly go with the Vortex Crossfire as long as they still have some in stock.

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to picking out scope bases, rings, etc. Can someone please give me a heads up on anything special I need to look for when shopping for these items. I will be putting these things on a Savage 10 FP.

What kind of base would be best suited for this application?
What kind of rings?

Can you please suggest a few brands/models? Not looking to break the bank, just for a good quality/value product.

laportecharlie
04-21-2010, 09:21 PM
I bought a Crossfire about a year ago when I heard about them on rimfirecentral.com. I've had mine on a CZ 22 LR and it is a heck of a scope for less than $100.00. As to rings and bases, a lot of the guys here use a one piece base but I have had very good luck with the Burris two piece bases and the Signature rings. I have this setup on seven or eight Savage centerfires with never a problem. Either SWFA or Opticsplanet would be a good source of info and hardware.
Charlie

USAF_TRobertson
04-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Think I will call SWFA tomorrow and ask them if it is in stock and what rings they recommend to use on a Savage 10FP.

pa hog
04-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Burris XTR Bases and High Burris Zee rings would be a good set-up, but you could use High Signature Zee rings instead with the XTR bases.

Slowpoke Slim
04-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I don't know what kind of coyote hunting you're doing, but I mostly call them to me. Most of my setups are laid out so I'm not shooting really past 200 yds at all, and most shots are much, much closer. I would say the average shot is between 60 and 80 yds. For MY kind of setups, the scope you're looking at is way, way too large. Not enough field of view for fast, close shots. I use a 3-9x40, and it's almost always on 3x.

Just some food for thought, you might be doing an entirely different kind of coyote hunting where you are?

For my last "mid range" gun, I put a 6.5-20x50 Vortex viper on it. It's a 243 that I'm planning on whacking prairie dogs at 300-500 yards with. I also have a 22-250 with a Nikon buckmaster 6-18x on for about the same distance shooting. I think if I was only going to shoot to 250, I'd go with a scope that topped out at either 10x, or 12x and gain some more field of view.

USAF_TRobertson
04-24-2010, 03:38 PM
This is going to be a dual purpose gun (coyotes & ground hogs) and I also would like to try a little mid-range target shooting (probably 300yds max). Figured the Vortex would be the best of both worlds.

efm77
04-24-2010, 06:37 PM
I have the Banner 6-24x40 mounted on a 300 win mag. It's been on there for 4 years and is still holding it's zero. For the money it's pretty clear and durable. As someone else said it does get a little darker at the higher powers but all high power scopes do that, even the expensive ones. Granted a more expensive one will be brighter than the Banner but if I need a brighter sight picture I just turn the power down a little and it works fine. I also really like the Swift Premiers, you may want to consider one of them as well. They have fully multi-coated lenses and are very bright and clear for the money albeit they are more than the Banners.