PDA

View Full Version : Load test question (changing bullets)

big honkin jeep
11-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I finally got some range time to work with Alliant Power Pro 2000MR in my 10PC .308 today. After working up in .3 gr increments with the bullets touching the lands I found an accuracy node at 46gr (middle of the road load) using Lapua brass, Win Primers and 165gr Sierra Game King HPBTs that gave me a 5 shot one ragged hole that looked like 3 overlapping, a clover leaf at 100 yards. I'm wanting to try a couple of other bullets I have on hand in the same weight. (Accubonds, Ballistic tips, A max, Interlocks) Would it be effective to just stick with the 46gr charge weight and change bullets and see what happens or will I need to start over and do incremental charges with each bullet?

hafejd30
11-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Start low, work up. FYI AMAX like to be .020 off lands in my experience. Seating depth will also change pressure...

You don't necessarily need to shoot groups at lower ranges if your not looking for the most accurate charge but load in increments (.5 gr etc) and watch for pressure signs

olddav
11-06-2014, 12:45 AM
You may be able to just swap the bullets but I'm sure you realize that all short cuts have risk. My guess is you already know this and are more experienced than myself. So I suppose that I'm just killing time.

darkker
11-06-2014, 11:46 AM
You didn't really give any sort of end-game objective.
If you are just looking for "Nodes", then of course you have to start all over. With just about every cartridge and bullet I've ever reloaded, there is always an accurate load at very light loads, and something around the middle. But what is "light" and what is the "Middle" will be different with each lot of powder and different bullet.

At least for me, my 308 loads that I use for groups to a mile; don't group well at all at the 100 yard line. So what you are doing plays into this as well.

big honkin jeep
11-06-2014, 12:40 PM
With powder in short supply I picked up the 2000MR because it's what was available at the time. While looking around for load data, and though not shooting over a chrony myself, there are some very impressive velocity reports with this powder. My rifle liked .3 over minimum and then when I got to 46 which was in the middle of my data the magic happened.
End game objective is an uber accurate "lights out" hunting load for this rifle.
I have had very good results with the Accubonds on game performance in several calibers so that's the bullet I'll probably try next. Only have one box of 50 of the 165 ABs on hand and they are still a little tough to find locally. I'm just a little reluctant to shoot em up and thought I'd start development with the SGKs which I have a couple of boxes of and then see how closely my findings would transfer over to the ABs.
Guess I'm just looking for speculation based on the experience of others as to the best way if any to shortcut to my ultimate goal. I love my range time as much as anyone but man ammo has gotten nearly cost prohibitive.

barrel-nut
11-06-2014, 01:15 PM
I'm very curious what you find with this powder/bullet combination. I was/am a diehard fan of Reloader 15 for all of my .308 loads, but for the last few years it has been essentially unobtainable around here, and I'm down to my last pound. So I picked up an 8lb jug of 2000MR, at what seemed like a good price at the time. I'm also a believer in Nosler Accubonds for hunting, as they give good on-game performance, with usually spectacular accuracy in all rifles I've tried them in. I usually shoot the Ballistic Tips for practice, as they are a bit cheaper, then switch to the Accubonds for hunting. Very little to no change in POI. Some swear by the Ballistic Tips for hunting as well, but I just don't care for the "grenade effect". Anyway, if you find a good combo, keep us informed!