PDA

View Full Version : Hard to cock Model 110e

HillcoGunsmith
04-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Help please,
I'm working on a 110e .270 Savage. When lifting the bolt to cock the action, it is not smooth. It takes quite a bit of force to rotate the bolt for cocking. It lowers down smoothly. All appears fine inside the bolt. Kinda just feels like too much friction.
Is there an easy fix?

thanks!
jim

ellobo
04-18-2010, 05:39 PM
There is a fix, two at least. One works but not spectacular. The other is to send it to Fred Moreo at SharpShooterSupply ( he advetises here) and have him perform his $125 timing and trueing of the action. There is a fix using a .38 special cartridge case and a ball bearing. Unfortunately I dont have the link to it but someone may chime in with a link. I am not kidding, a .38 specail case or .357 case.

El Lobo

possum1
04-18-2010, 08:25 PM
The easiest I've found is the after-market large bolt handle. Done more than the case and ball bearing.

pdog06
04-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Does it still have the problem with the action out of the stock? If you havent checked try loosening the 2 action screws a turn or so to see if it eases up. If it does then the screws may be too long and rubbing the bolthead (front) or bolt body(rear). You may have to file them down slightly till they dont rub.

The other issue could be a scope base scre that is too long, but it would also cause it to be hard for the bolt to slide in and out of the action as well.

If all these things check out then you can try a longer bolthandle and a boltlift kit(SSS and Stockade both sell the kits for about $10, but you need a shortened bolt screw also). If you're still not satisifed after that then it will need timed and trued from SSS.

mopar440
04-19-2010, 04:02 AM
here the link http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,2401.0.html

T-Rex
04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Before you go and try all these other methods and spend money, sit down for 30 min and try this. My 10fcp was a little stiff at first and now it is smooth. Remove the bolt screw and disassemble almost completely. No need to remove bolt face. I sanded down the important contacting surfaces. The left side of the bolt handle (right handed rifle) looking from the rear, there's an angled step that contacts the next piece in the bolt assembly that also has a step. I sanded all the the way down to 1000 wet. Then the cocking pin has a groove right below the head that rides in a race in the bolt. Sand both those down to 1000 wet. I used a drill and small diameter rod w sand paper wrapped around it to help. The cocking pin I just chucked in the drill to do it. Lightly lube reassembled and add a little graphite. I did this to my 10fcp as well as my 11fcns. Smooth. I have also added a larger bolt handle but that was after. I then traded stock 11fcns handle for the stock 10fcp handle since it was just sitting there. This was a huge improvement and cost me time and sand paper that I already had. I can now lift the bolt w 1 finger.