PDA

View Full Version : New stock for .223 Stevens 200

Code4
11-05-2014, 05:47 AM
I want to start personalising my .223 Stevens 200.

It is very accurate ( five shots into an inch at 100 yards off a bipod ) so I don't need a new barrel. I have installed a Rifle Basix trigger.

I need a better target/tactical stock with inbuilt 'cradle' than the current Tupperware stock. I'm getting confused with the options.
I have a blind, staggered feed magazine and the action screws are 4.4" apart.

What will bolt straight up ? If any ?

PS. To demonstrate how much faith I have in the accuracy potential of this rifle I have ordered a A$2,600 March tactical scope for this rifle. Yes, it is that good.

jhelmuth
11-05-2014, 06:51 AM
If the action screw spacing you've given is correct, it is not a stagger feed - but it is a center feed model (another way to tell is when removing the barreled action, SF models will have the magazine shell attached to the action itself, where the CF models do not.

Now... turning you direction toward stock selection. I assume you are meaning some sort of bedding block (inbuilt 'cradle') version in a tactical model with blind mag - correct? If so, here are some choices:

#1 - Bell and Carlson Medalist
#2 - Choate: Ultimate Sniper (#22-06-15) and Tactical Custom (26-06-02)
#3 - Manners MCS T2 (and T2A - Adjustable cheek riser) and T4
#4 - Stockade (Kevin Rayhill) Prarie Dog Special/Tactical

Those are all I can think of that meet ALL of your criteria (as I understand it anyway)...

Code4
11-05-2014, 07:19 AM
It is definantly staggered feed. I will check the action screw spacings again tomorrow. I may have measured it incorrectly.

If I got it wrong I apologise.

David R
11-05-2014, 07:41 AM
I bought one of those Stevens 200 in 308. I got lucky and traded the plastic stock for a wood one with checkering. The rifle feels better in my hands. Blue steel and wood.

http://fudpucker.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Mypics/i-cLLtNrM/0/XL/DSCN4323-XL.jpg

That target was shot offhand @ 50 yards.

115 grain LEAD bullets at 1825 fps. I fired a 5 shot group off the bench in the bottom center target.

David

jhelmuth
11-05-2014, 12:18 PM
If the action screw spacing you've given is correct, it is not a stagger feed - but it is a center feed model (another way to tell is when removing the barreled action, SF models will have the magazine shell attached to the action itself, where the CF models do not.

Now... turning you direction toward stock selection. I assume you are meaning some sort of bedding block (inbuilt 'cradle') version in a tactical model with blind mag - correct? If so, here are some choices:

#1 - Bell and Carlson Medalist
#2 - Choate: Ultimate Sniper (#22-06-15) and Tactical Custom (26-06-02)
#3 - Manners MCS T2 (and T2A - Adjustable cheek riser) and T4
#4 - Stockade (Kevin Rayhill) Prarie Dog Special/Tactical

Those are all I can think of that meet ALL of your criteria (as I understand it anyway)...

It is definantly staggered feed. I will check the action screw spacings again tomorrow. I may have measured it incorrectly.

If I got it wrong I apologise.

No worries... most (if not all) of the above have versions which will fit stagger feed actions (which BTW are on 4.27" centers). But I will add one more which I think would be the cats-pjs and the best one possible - and that would be the HS Precision PST-101

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/file_2_9.jpg

Truely one of the great tactical stocks for a Savage/Stevens build! You can pick one up from Stocky's Stocks for just under $400 (plus shipping)

Code4
11-05-2014, 06:45 PM
jhelmuth,

You have provided me with excellent information.
I live in Australia and I'm afraid for some time now we have been unable to import many firearms related items direct from the USA. Fortunately there are some importers which do so (at greatly increased cost) so it is now a matter of finding one.

Again Thx.

SSW7
11-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Code4 PM sent.

Code4
11-06-2014, 07:03 AM
Reply sent. Tah.

Code4
11-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Well I've ordered a B&C for the Stevens and a McMillan 'McWoody' Hunter for my Model 14 250-3000. The B&C is here and the McMillan has a 6-9 month wait to reach me here in Oz.