PDA

View Full Version : Help identify Standard or Large shank

jjohnson636
11-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Hello all,
I'm waiting on a Savage Trophy Hunter 111 chambered in 300 win mag and will be swapping out the barrel, scope, and stock chassis. I'm looking to go ahead and order a Barrel nut and recoil lug which require me knowing the shank size. From what I've read, if the chamber is not 300 RUM and 300 WSM then the shank is standard size. Will someone verify this info? E. R. Shaw has a very attractive deal (SS $247) on their kits but their wait time is 5-6 months. McGowen has savage pre-fits (not kits) for $325, is this about the best deal in regards to price, out there?

upSLIDEdown
11-03-2014, 02:56 PM
It's a small shank. Large shanks actually have a shoulder right in front of the barrel nut, so you can see the threaded portion is larger than normal.

Check with Jim at Apache Gun Works. He's a site sponser, does GREAT work, and has a few different options now as far as barrel blanks go, depending on what you want to spend. And he's getting ready to open his ordering back up. He cuts it off when he gets a certain number of orders, to try to keep his lead time around a month.

http://www.Apachegunworks.com

jjohnson636
11-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Wow! Great price for Savage prefit. How are his barrels? I've submitted a quote and just waiting to here back from him.

drybean
11-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Wow! Great price for Savage prefit. How are his barrels? I've submitted a quote and just waiting to here back from him.

I have one of his XCaliber bbls in 6.5 X 284 , just shot 2 5 shot groups one .287 & one .296
I am very Happy

mike21
11-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Just type "apache" in the search feature (top right of each page). It won't take long to see his growing reputation for quality barrels.