PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a good stock that won't break the bank?

tacticalj
04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Looking for a stock for a tactical build. I have a long action savage and am wanting something like a B&C tactical medalist or McMillan A2(just don't want the price). I have looked at several websites and nobody really lists anything for long action. Any ideas? Does anybody have a B&C medalist on a LA platform. Sounds like I'm just gonna have to call B&C!
Thanks Jason

Carvera
04-18-2010, 02:39 PM
How much you want to spend, and how long you're willing to wait will dictate quite a bit.

You could look into the Choate stocks, or Stockade.

pdog06
04-18-2010, 02:56 PM
A couple years ago I was building a 25-06 and called B&C to see if they'd build a Medalist for a long action, since they had the specs cause they make a Duramax for one. I was told No, they wouldnt do it. Maybe time has changed things and they'll do it for you, but I didnt have any luck. Let us know what they say if you call them.

Like Carlos mentioned, a Choate stock would be your next cheapest choice, or maybe a Duramax. After that you gotta add another $100 or more.

tacticalj
04-18-2010, 04:41 PM
cost is not a huge issue, but i don't want to spend my life savings on a stock! I may just have to bite the bullet and call mcmillan and have an a2 built. I have a choate ultimate sniper and its just not what i want, so it's for sale!

psharon97
04-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Don't know if your interrested but Stockade and SSS have built some impressive stocks. Both start about $300. Don't know if that will 'break the bank' or what amount you deem is too much.

mopar440
04-19-2010, 12:46 AM
If you want synth
Im very happy with my stockade paire dog i order the money saver the only part that needed a filler was around the tang and it was a just for a few pin holes i shot it several times before finishing it and bedding it bedding was easy very little need except around the recoil lug it need a fair amount the only negative was the wait if remeber it took about 7weeks to get it but that was me if you do order they will make it to your barrel contour and lenght of pull

If you want laminate SSS has some nice looking stocks i have no personnel experence with them but people seem to like them and anything else he makes or does

tacticalj
04-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Now when i get on SSS's website, I don't see a prairie dog. I found the LVT and some others. I like the way the LVT looks, but i'm just not a laminate guy. Do you have any pics of the prairie dog? I may have to call em or something. I really want the tactical look, like mcmillans a2-a5 designs.

possum1
04-22-2010, 12:12 AM
The Prairie Dog is on Stockade web-site.

Netz
04-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Here's the link to Stockade http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html
I got a Prairie Dog/tactical money saver and I am quite pleased with it, great stock for the price, it weighs about 2 pounds.
Minimal clean up.
Curt

tacticalj
04-22-2010, 08:40 AM
cool, thanks guys i think the prairie dog is just what i'm after