PDA

View Full Version : Bolt rubbing on safety

RJTNC
11-03-2014, 03:05 AM
I have a Model 10 that has been put into a Chaote Tactical stock. I know that Savage bolts tend to be "sloppy" in general but the bolt is rubbing on the safety at the tang when running the bolt in and out. If I lift slightly on the bolt as I am running it, it does not rub. Is this normal for the bolt to slightly rub the safety?

How sloppy is normal for Savage bolts?

Anyone else have this issue?

If I am missing some needed information let me know.

foxx
11-03-2014, 09:23 AM
No, I don't believe it is normal. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions, either. Maybe a pic or series of pics showing it would help someone who might know the solution.

jonbearman
11-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Try loosening the rear bedding screw till it has no tension on it and see if it is still rubbing.

foxx
11-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Is the bolt assembly screw tight? The entire bolt assembly tends to be a bit sloppy inside the action, but the bolt handle should be tightly fixed to the bolt itself.

RJTNC
11-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Everything seems tight and correct.

Savage said it is probably the bolt handle itself and that it was probably not machined down far enough. They are sending me out a new one to see if that fixes the issue. Based on what I see I am not sure that will fix it but it is worth a shot instead of sending it back in. I will keep you guys posted.

If anyone else has seen this post up and let me know.

RJTNC
11-03-2014, 12:56 PM
I think I figured it out. The bolt was also rubbing on the tang on the right side where the bolt handle opening is. As you pull the bolt back it would hang up slightly on the lip of the opening. I shaved down the opening and that seemed to smooth it out. I will also try the new bolt from Savage and see what that does.

Anyone else seen this before?

jonbearman
11-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Too be honest , no but in the world of fast paced machining any mistake is possible , we always hoped the inspectors would catch a mistake. But mistakes slip by even with the best inspection methods.

RJTNC
11-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Too be honest , no but in the world of fast paced machining any mistake is possible , we always hoped the inspectors would catch a mistake. But mistakes slip by even with the best inspection methods.

Oh dont get me wrong I am not mad or anything like that. Savage was easy to deal with and very helpful. They at first wanted me to send back the rifle and after talking with them that I didn't really want to do that because of all my stuff was already in place and it is a real shooter they decided just to send out a bolt handle to me and let me replace it myself. I am VERY happy with my Savage even with a sticky bolt. :)

IMO Savage makes the best and most accurate out of the box rifles on the market.:thumb: