PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Savage needs aftermarket stock help

Woods
11-02-2014, 12:16 PM
I am new to this board stuff so hopefully I have it on the right location. I have a savage 10 P SR SBR heavy barrel in 308 (model number 22076). I believe it is a short action and it has a removable concealed magazine that loads 4 rounds staggered. I have been researching aftermarket stocks and have found that the Bell and Carlson Medalist (2999?) seems to be a popular model. I read somewhere however it doesn't have an opening for the removable magazine. Is this true? Does anyone have the same model of savage as mine and or have any experience with this stock? If so would you share your experience with this stock? Thank you in advance!

loneranger04
11-02-2014, 02:31 PM
First thing you need to know is what the distance is between the action screws and if the bolt release is on top or bottom. Savage uses 4.4" and, I think, 4.2". One of the things I'm learning is that, because of the location of the two pillars that the action screws run through it's hard to find a fiberglass stock that has enough material between the mag well and the rear pillar to be strong enough to not crack. The Remington's action screws are front of the mag well and rear of the action so taking a normal fiberglass stock and bedding it isn't near as much of a problem. My 12 LRP has a HS Precision stock with a aluminum chassis so that is a non problem. My Manners on my .308 Savage action cracked and Manners agreed that there just isn't enough room for sufficient material in front of that back pillar especially when you put bottom metal in. Manners is going to an aluminum chassis in the near future because of this. I don't know what BC uses. You might find a take off HS Precision stock from someone upgrading to a chassis system. I like mine.