PDA

View Full Version : New 10 FCP-K need some help

fastgixxerlv
04-18-2010, 03:06 AM
I just purchased one with the accustock and accutrigger and my first question is, why does'nt my muzzle brake turn? On the manual it says it can be opened and closed by hand, but mine seems to be on too tight. Also with the barrel twist of 1:10 what is the lightest and heaviest ammo I can use in .308? Can I use cheap Wolf FMJ or Remington Core Lokt to break the barrel in? Thanks!

Uncle Jack
04-18-2010, 03:18 AM
The muzzle break on the new LE 10FCP-K is not adjustable. Yes, you can use just about any ammunition for break in. I do not use steel core ammunition in any rifle I care about.

uj

fastgixxerlv
04-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Thanks! Can't wait to shoot it! I really like the bedding system but not really sure about the looks of the stock? U guys think the Choate custom tactical stock will be as accurate, if not a little better? The site does'nt say too much about it... Does anyone here have one? Do they need to be glass bedded?

psharon97
04-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Most any aftermarket stock will be an improvement over the stock that comes with the savage rifles. The biggest thing I hate is that the forend can warp and touch the barrel while firing off the bench affecting accuracy. Almost any aftermarket stock won't have this problem. From what I've seen, one stock choice is not going to be inherently more accurate than another; that is determined the rifle and its components.

However stocks make the rifle ergonomic. The more comfortable the rifle, the longer you'll shoot it, and the more accurate the rifle will be with the 'human' error factored into the equation.

Uncle Jack
04-18-2010, 12:08 PM
".....Most any aftermarket stock will be an improvement over the stock that comes with the savage rifles."

I don't know if you are familiar with the Accustocks that come on the LE 10FCP-K rifles, but they are a great improvement over the older non reinforced tupperware. I'll admit it ain't no $450.00 McMillian but, considering most of these rifles will shoot 1/2" out of the box, they ain't bad. I think you will find that any improvement in accuracy is going to cost you a lot of money.

uj

T-Rex
04-18-2010, 12:20 PM
".....Most any aftermarket stock will be an improvement over the stock that comes with the savage rifles."

I don't know if you are familiar with the Accustocks that come on the LE 10FCP-K rifles, but they is a great improvement over the older non reinforced tupperware. I'll admit it ain't no $450.00 McMillian but, considering most of these rifles will shoot 1/2" out of the box, they ain't bad. I think you will find that any improvement in accuracy is going to cost you a lot of money.

uj

I have to agree here. How much more accuracy I could imagine youd get simply from adding a stock to a rifle that should be shooting well below moa is minimal. The accustock has the capability as long as it is a comfortable fit to you and your "style" of shooting.
here is a 4 shot group @ 100 yds w/ my 204ruger 11fcns bone stock

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o270/premiumtommy/204ruger.jpg

fastgixxerlv
04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the help! I was'nt really looking for more accuracy with an aftermarket stock, just for aesthetics. I am more concerned with loosing performance than squeezing in a bit more accuracy. I'm not too concerned about the looks now after getting through the break-in. Even after the first ten rounds and cleaning it is already grouping tight, it's at 1 moa now after only 50 rounds using Fiocchi 165gr. boat tail HPs. I'd like to see if it can do better with different ammo but it seems like ammo prices went up 30%.

jdg
04-18-2010, 09:48 PM
My 10FP came with a Choate Folder, it shot .5"-.6" at 100yrds. I replaced it with a B&C Tactical Medalist, the fit and feel are better, the recoil is less, but still shoots the same size groups. I'd stick with the accustock, not sure they offer an aftermarket stock yet for it.

Snakum
04-21-2010, 04:12 PM
I've finally been able to wring out my FCP-K the last few weeks, and I can't see any aftermarket stock making it more accurate. If I'm not fighting wind and if I'm shooting my own SMK loads, Georgia Arms Match, or HSM Match I can shoot close to 1/2 MOA to 200 yards or so, then under MOA to 500. At 600 yards and beyond I still get sub MOA every third or fourth group, so I know it's my shooting and not the weapon. My bud has shot 3" groups with it at 600 yards. I honestly can't see changing a thing on it. Heavy and accurate enough for tactical long range competition, but still light enough to hump across the beanfields during deer season.

Now if I could just find a stock pack and a few of the SSS extended mags my life would complete. :( Last week I tried to call them and never got an answer, this week the voicemail says they are gone till the end of the month.