PDA

View Full Version : Ugly or Accurate?

Deserthunter
04-18-2010, 12:36 AM
I've got a 12FLV in 308win and 6.5x47L... My first extra barrel.... This is the most accurate weapon that I've even owned... My 700's shoot around .5" but this weapon shoots in the teens with both barrels.... I think that a good portion of the accuracy is due to the Choate UV stock that I added.

Just a couple of problems... the stock is heavy (Lots of aluminum and plastic) and it's "Ugly"..... I have several of them, I've enjoyed them, however, I'd love to buy a Laminate from SS or my son has a pretty piece of curly maple..... But I don't want to give up any accuracy at all????? Your thoughts.....

psharon97
04-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Most of your shot to shot uniformaty should be on the barrel itself, if you take the 'human' factor out of the equation. The UV stock sounds like it ergonomically fits you well.
SSS could build you a nice looking stock, no debate there. However the UV stock is marked for 4 pounds, just like most of SSS stocks weigh in at 4 pounds. Your not loosing or gaining much in as far as weight goes.

However, they could build you a stock that matches your frame, such as length of pull, something choate can't do. Their stocks should fit you better than what you currently have. You shouldn't loose accuracy just by switching stocks.

Deserthunter
04-18-2010, 01:45 AM
What about pillars, glass beding, warping, etc. etc.... Right now, it's just making sure the torque settings are correct. I guess maybe I could think about a "camo" airbrush" job on the stock? I was hopping that I could get the weight down a pound or so.... but probably not... Oh Well....

Uncle Jack
04-18-2010, 02:50 AM
If you have a setup that reliably shoots in the "teens", my advice would be don't XXXX with it! I've got a couple of Choate UVs and I will admit that they ain't the purdyest girls at the dance. Just accept the stock for what it is; a very solid, stable platform. As far as fit goes, Choate supplies two cheekpieces and an insert for LOP and will fit most shooters. If it really bugs you, try a paint job. IT can't hurt. Just remember, it's gonna cost you a lot more than $200.00 to get anything any nicer looking and may not be as accurate.

uj

rjtfroggy
04-18-2010, 07:46 AM
I personally like the laminates but they by no means are lite, unless you get the feather weight from Boyd's.
If you go to www.numrichgunparts.com and look up Savage stocks you will find they have the factory laminates in stock, most have the factory pillars installed and are very reasonable cost wise. I know they have the laminate target stock with adj cheek piece for $200.
You could also look up Joel Russo and get your maple turned into a stock if you want a true custom made, his phone # is 1 717 805-0940. I don't have his web site but a search on here will turn it up.

jdg
04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I think the Choates are fuggly myself, but are great stocks! I replaced mine with a B&C Medalist, it looks and feels way better to me, but still shoots the same. Wish I could even luck into a teen group!!! ;D