PDA

View Full Version : which trigger?

charb52
10-30-2014, 08:45 PM
im working on a stevens 200 target/hunting project and am wondering what trigger you guys prefer? rifle basix? timney? what do you shoot? gotta be adjustable

drybean
10-30-2014, 09:01 PM
SSS Comp trigger gets my vote

foxx
10-30-2014, 09:41 PM
+1...

Nandy
10-31-2014, 09:32 PM
All those triggers are good triggers and it will depend more in what are you looking for from a trigger. I have Rifle Basix, accutrigger and SSS trigger (the one you dont have to send the gun to Fred to install). I found the SSS to be my favorite and the accutrigger to be the safer. All of them get me to 16 oz or less trigger pull.

charb52
10-31-2014, 11:47 PM
All those triggers are good triggers and it will depend more in what are you looking for from a trigger. I have Rifle Basix, accutrigger and SSS trigger (the one you dont have to send the gun to Fred to install). I found the SSS to be my favorite and the accutrigger to be the safer. All of them get me to 16 oz or less trigger pull.
im looking for a good crisp trigger that I can set around a pound or less for bench shooting and still be able to bump back to around 3lbs for a hunting trip...I want the best of both worlds on a budget

Dennis
11-01-2014, 02:40 AM
Rifle Basix SAV-2 pretty well fits your spec's. I have 3 and I am happy with all of them. SSS Evolution is the best, but it cost! Triple or more or the Rifle Basix.

Dennis

cowtownup
11-01-2014, 01:51 PM
I bought a factory 3 screw trigger from a member here and put in my stevens 200 and got a whole lot better trigger for $30.. I've never pulled a SSS trigger but I may replace what I got with one here soon. Just an option for you cause I know that Stevens trigger is tough.

foxx
11-01-2014, 01:54 PM
I bought a factory 3 screw trigger from a member here and put in my stevens 200 and got a whole lot better trigger for $30.. I've never pulled a SSS trigger but I may replace what I got with one here soon. Just an option for you cause I know that Stevens trigger is tough.

Those can be excellent triggers. Basically, the Rifle Basix Sav-1 trigger is the same thing but with trued and polished engagement surfaces and lighter spring.

foxx
11-01-2014, 02:03 PM
as far as being adjustable... I caution against hoping to have a trigger you will turn down for target and up for hunting purposes. It sounds like a good idea, but I doubt you'll ever really do that. If you have one rifle, you might be better off setting it at a safe hunting level of pull and keep it there. Get used to pulling that weight and having it break at that point with so much creep and over travel, etc. If you change it for the situation, I think you will only cause your subconscious some confusion. It's okay to have a target rifle break one way and a hunter to brake another, but each should be consistent to itself. I can't defend that statement, but I believe that is the case. Moreso, I am confident you can make yourself a better shooter with your hunting rifle if you dedicate it as such. Of course, you might ask, "How good do I have to be?"

devildogandboy
11-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Rifle Basix SAV-2 pretty well fits your spec's. I have 3 and I am happy with all of them. SSS Evolution is the best, but it cost! Triple or more or the Rifle Basix.

Dennis

I agree with Dennis on the RifleBasix, I have 2, 1 is Sav-1 and 1 is Sav-2. I have the Sav-2 set right around 1 1/4 for target and both triggers break crisp. good deal for the money. I also have the older factory 3-screw and the new accutriggers. you would probably be happier with the Sav-2 for you needs.

good shooting!
Bruce

foxx
11-01-2014, 03:35 PM
I think the Sav-2 is an EXCELLENT trigger as well. However, I do not find it easy o adjust for pull weight. The problem being, if I set it at 2.5 lbs(hunting weight) it requires a different arrangement of the parts to set at 8 oz (target weight).

Of all of them, the Accutrigger is most easily adjusted, but it does not have the same overall range. (target accutriggers are not able to go as high as 2.5 lbs, hunting accutriggers do not go as low as 8 oz) I believe the Varmint Accutrigger is the most capable of going from 1 lb to 2 lbs.

Also, I have had several "standard" or hunter Acctriggers and they all are different in their quality and range of adjustment.

charb52
11-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all the good info guys. Foxx I think your right about picking a weight and sticking with it. I probably wont hunt with this rifle but I think I want it to be possible. If I found the right deal on an accutrigger I would probably go that rout to save some cash for a little while

Nandy
11-03-2014, 06:58 PM
as far as being adjustable... I caution against hoping to have a trigger you will turn down for target and up for hunting purposes.

I rather set the trigger for target than hunting. What I do is I put the cartridge in and push the bolt forward but dont close it until I see deer and I intend to shoot it. Best **** safe you can have... Of course, if you stalk close range this might not be ideal but I would not be using a rifle i use for long shot accuracy for shooting under 200 yds while stalking anyway. I found the sav-2 to be very crisp as well but is the one that was more prompt to drop-fire. The SSS would had taken several hits before it would drop fire and the accutrigger blocks the sear so i did never drop-fire after many attempts, at least not while I test it.

yobuck
11-04-2014, 08:59 AM
as far as being adjustable... I caution against hoping to have a trigger you will turn down for target and up for hunting purposes. It sounds like a good idea, but I doubt you'll ever really do that. If you have one rifle, you might be better off setting it at a safe hunting level of pull and keep it there. Get used to pulling that weight and having it break at that point with so much creep and over travel, etc. If you change it for the situation, I think you will only cause your subconscious some confusion. It's okay to have a target rifle break one way and a hunter to brake another, but each should be consistent to itself. I can't defend that statement, but I believe that is the case. Moreso, I am confident you can make yourself a better shooter with your hunting rifle if you dedicate it as such. Of course, you might ask, "How good do I have to be?"

I think this is very good advice.
No doubt for those bragging size groups a lite trigger pull helps.
But on hunting guns even those used for long range, i think its best
to have a heavier pull. Especially if others including kids might be using it also.

archerben
11-04-2014, 03:00 PM
I recently put an SSS competition trigger on my 6.5x284 build. Based on my experience, I will not buy another. No matter what I do the trigger pull remains at 1.25 pounds. It will not adjust up or down at all. In addition, there is just a little bit of creep that I cannot seem to get rid of. I do not have experience with Rifle Basix yet, but I plan to use a Sav-2 on my next build.

charb52
11-04-2014, 09:07 PM
I recently put an SSS competition trigger on my 6.5x284 build. Based on my experience, I will not buy another. No matter what I do the trigger pull remains at 1.25 pounds. It will not adjust up or down at all. In addition, there is just a little bit of creep that I cannot seem to get rid of. I do not have experience with Rifle Basix yet, but I plan to use a Sav-2 on my next build.

yea I have been reading a bunch of reviews and I think I will be going with a rifle basix as well. they both have there bad reviews but the SSS bad reviews seem like there harder things to deal with

Nandy
11-04-2014, 09:28 PM
I had no problem taking my SSS competition trigger under the 8 oz but I did not leave it there. I think I went to 12 oz. I guess I need to measure them sometime again.

LongRange
11-04-2014, 10:35 PM

yea I have been reading a bunch of reviews and I think I will be going with a rifle basix as well. they both have there bad reviews but the SSS bad reviews seem like there harder things to deal with

Just remember with the RB-SAV 2 if you want a very light pull you need to adjust the sear screw for a little more sear engagement...I am pretty familiar with adjusting these triggers and it takes me 20 to 30mins and a lot of dry fires to get them to 4-6ozs with 0 creep and not bolt fire unless you really close the bolt hard....watch the video a couple of times before you start the install so you are familiar with what scew adjusts what. Also after you adjust the trigger put your riffle back together and check it again...the sav-2 is a fantastic trigger it just takes a little adjusting....id also recommend calling clay at riffle basix and order direct as shipping is free very fast and if you dont like the trigger call clay and send it back for a no questions asked full refund.

charb52
11-05-2014, 12:22 AM
I definitely don't want to be that lite. I'm thinking the 1.5lbs area should be good for me as I've never shot anything other than a factory trigger until I get whatever I order on my rifle. I look foreword to spending the time with all the adjustments to get it right