PDA

View Full Version : 204 copper fouling

rohk
04-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Is there anyway to lessen or prevent copper fouling? or is it just a clean it solution?

Slowpoke Slim
04-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Sorry, but the only way to prevent copper fouling is not to shoot it.

As a general rule of thumb, the more velocity, the more copper gets left behind (all other things being equal, like barrel quality). A good high quality, hand lapped barrel will go more shots between needing cleaned, and also clean up easier and quicker, but they all need cleaning at some point.

If you're having a tough time getting it clean, try either the foaming bore cleaners (those are the bomb), or try a chamber plug (Sinclair's sells them), and literally fill the barrel full of good solvent and let it stand for 30 min or so, then pour the solvent out and swab with patches.

I've used both those methods for a minimal scrubbing type of clean.

bgc
04-18-2010, 10:44 AM
lap barrel

ellobo
04-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Excessive copper in a Savage barrel? I am shocked, truly shocked at such a thing. Dont worry, after several hundred rounds you wont get as much copper.

El Lobo

CJ in WY
04-18-2010, 10:24 PM
With the 204 cabon fouling seams to be a much bigger problem than copper. As ohers have said the cooper fouling should improve with round count but carbon fouling has me cleaning every 125 rounds or so even after a few hundred rounds.
The foam cleaners seam to work good enough for copper but GM top engine cleaner makes real short work of the cabon.......just be carfull because it is not the safest stuff to be breathing or getting on your hands!