PDA

View Full Version : American Whitetail in 300 wm

thermaler
10-29-2014, 02:34 PM
It's getting to the point where buying the bigger caliber factory ammo is often cheaper than reloading--so I recently bought some budget power shok and hornady's new American Whitetail. My 300 win mag hasn't been shot since before I moved 7 months ago--and as expected it needed re-zeroing. The last time I shot power shok I got decent results--but today the bullets tended to wander at the 100 yd mark--though that might be cause it's a bit close--dunno.

Hornady's Whitetail has gotten pretty good reviews in other calibers--but from what I read the bigger 30 06 and 300 win mag are mediocre at best. After re-zeroing from shooting the power shok I got this with the whitetail out of a very warm barrel--just a smidgen over .5 MOA though the truth will be told when (if) I can get some shots out to 2 to 300. I'm impressed nonetheless and it's better than I expected. Next cold-bore shot should be revealing.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s388/triggerpull/whitetail_zpsec993584.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/triggerpull/media/whitetail_zpsec993584.jpg.html)

Luke45
10-30-2014, 04:52 PM
sweet! i have had a couple rifles that will randomly shoot factories as well as handloads, very convinient!

how much are they a box? if you have dies and brass im suprised its not way cheaper?

thermaler
10-30-2014, 05:03 PM
sweet! i have had a couple rifles that will randomly shoot factories as well as handloads, very convinient!

how much are they a box? if you have dies and brass im suprised its not way cheaper?
I bought a box of 20 last year for around $24--right now they're around $27 to $28--but that's still very competitive with the cost of hand-loads--I've actually found federal power shok at wally world for under $20! Bullets alone can be a dollar each--and at 70 grs or more per hand load those lb kegs go fast. But if this stuff can group like this consistently--gives me an excuse to be lazy and not work up a bunch of loads. : )

Luke45
10-30-2014, 10:18 PM
I bought a box of 20 last year for around $24--right now they're around $27 to $28--but that's still very competitive with the cost of hand-loads--I've actually found federal power shok at wally world for under $20! Bullets alone can be a dollar each--and at 70 grs or more per hand load those lb kegs go fast. But if this stuff can group like this consistently--gives me an excuse to be lazy and not work up a bunch of loads. : )

Can't argue with 1$ a shot for 300wm especially if it groups that well!