PDA

View Full Version : 111 Trigger

bassadict69
10-29-2014, 11:24 AM
I have a 111 7mm Mag and of course the stock trigger sucks big time! I have never had a custom trigger or anything other than stock, but this trigger is the worst I have seen.

I do not know enough about them to go in and try to fix this trigger but would love to change it out to something else.

Any suggestions on a replacement trigger?

olddav
10-29-2014, 11:43 AM
While there maybe a simple answer to your problem, one could get lost rather quickly. Once one gets lost on trigger work the rifle becomes a danger to you and everyone around. It is just my opinion but you need to do a lot of reading on the subject all of which is on the web and viewable on YouTube (both are a great source of good and bad info).

bassadict69
10-29-2014, 12:21 PM
That is the reason I would rather simply replace the trigger.

olddav
10-29-2014, 12:29 PM
I have no idea what I read to give you my response, but I will say all the above still applies.
There are a couple of aftermarket triggers that are direct replacements for the Savage, RifleBasix and Timney are two popular options. Both should come with detail instructions for their installations and both should be under $100.00.
Good Luck.

bassadict69
10-29-2014, 12:46 PM
I will check out the two of those. Thanks!

Yukonjon
10-30-2014, 01:05 AM
I am not the most familiar person when it comes to these savage rifles as I am fairly new myself. With that said, I had the same problem as you. A friend who is very familiar with these rifles recommended that I change the piece of piano wire that holds the sear on the trigger with a thinner piece. I went to Home Depot and bought a thinner piece, bent it with pliers to match the same contour, and installed it in place of the other piece. My trigger is much better now and cost me less than 5 dollars.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in with their experiences but this was a great upgrade for almost no money. I still have a little creep but the trigger pull is much better. I can take pictures later but it is I'll be a week or so as I am off to elk hunt first thing tomorrow with my 7rem mag.

My understanding is that this applies to the non Accutrigger only. I don't know if this is some thing you want to try and I hope someone smarter than me chimes in but I am very happy with this upgrade.

olddav
10-30-2014, 07:35 AM
You can greatly improve a stock Savage trigger by performing a couple of simple task, one of which is replacing the wire spring.

michaelnel
10-30-2014, 08:12 AM
There are a couple of aftermarket triggers that are direct replacements for the Savage, RifleBasix and Timney are two popular options.

Having bought and installed two Rifle Basix SAV-2 triggers, I would never buy another.

They don't fit the action well, requiring quite a bit of file time. They are prone to slam firing, and the trigger release tension drifts over time.

Couple that with tech support that consists of "send it back for a refund" when asking for assistance adjusting it and zero documentation other than a terrible DVD that shows installation but does not cover adjusting it, and I think you are better off with some other alternative.

On my new rifle I'm going to leave the Accutrigger in place.

LongRange
10-30-2014, 08:48 AM
ive installed several RB-SAV-2s and they are not for everyone because it does take some adjusting to get them how you want and they are a tight fit...if your riffle is a hunting riffle go with the timney if its a prone/bench/target riffle go with the RB and spend a little time adjusting it and you will be happy...the RB in my 260 is adjusted to 4OZ and will not bolt/slam fire unless you REALLY slam the bolt hard....like i said they take a little time to get adjusted but IMHO they are the best savage replacement triggers made.

olddav
10-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Don't forget about the RifleBasix SAV-1.

I too have a RifleBasix SAV-2 and love it, but like you said they are a bit of a challenge to adjust. Mine is set at 14oz (hunting from shooting house) and have never had a slam fire. One last thing, I would never carry a rifle equipped with a SAV-2 loaded, not the trigger for stalki hunting.

Wildboarem
10-30-2014, 09:44 PM
The piano wire trick is a must on the 110/Stevens 200. I also polished the seat surfaces (polish it don't file it). It break s clean at 2lbs, not gritty or scratchy. I think some Savages triggers are like AR-15 triggers in that aspect. It isn't as buttery smooth as my worked over Weatherby trigger but a must if one doesn't want to spend a $100 right away and you don't have to be a gunsmith to do it. Always function test to make sure it can't slam fire. I don't think I'll even upgrade one of them (tactical setup) as its such a non issue.

limige
11-01-2014, 02:07 AM
Imo a factory three screw is as good as a Timney. The basix savage 2 would be the next step up in my book