PDA

View Full Version : Proper new gun break-in procedure?

Pages : [1] 2

malibu67rag
10-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Hello All,
I am giving my wife a new Savage Model 12 BTCSS 204 for Christmas this year. I would like to know the best method for breaking in the barrel to ensure that the rifle will last a long time and shoot accurately? We belong to a local club with an outdoor 200 yard range, we have personal keys and can use it every day weather permitting. It is likely we will be there Christmas day trying out the new rifle, and I want to make sure we follow a good procedure for break-in.
Thanks for your advice, Rob

michaelnel
10-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Insert one clean round of ammunition. Fire it. Repeat as necessary.

olddav
10-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Let me encourage you to do a search on the subject and you will find there is no consensus. Savage Arms web site has a page with their recommendations.

Nandy
10-28-2014, 09:08 PM
What olddav said... Im am sure no matter which break in procedure you use your rifle will not be hurt neither will it (fouling aside) shoot better....

barrel-nut
10-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Clean the barrel out thoroughly before you shoot the first round, to remove any gunk from the factory. They usually are surprisingly dirty when you get them. After that, do whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside. It can't be proven either way whether any certain break-in procedure, or lack thereof, will really help (or harm) it.

foxx
10-28-2014, 11:06 PM
all of the above, especially barre-nut. Clean it good the first time. I find it takes about 7 shots to adequately "foul" my barrel after a good, hard cleaning. If I just run a boresnake trough it or something, I am good to go after 1-2 shots. I have not seen any advantage, though, to any kind of break-in procedure at the beginning. Keep in mind, also, I usually find it can take 100-200 (usually 200) for my factory barrels to really start shooting their best. Cleaning between every shot doesn't seem to reduce that number and certainly does not speed up the process any. But do what you want, as long as you're having fun with it, I don't think it matters why you are shooting it. (I like to tell my wife the reason I GOTTA go to the range every day this week and shoot a couple hundred rounds through her new barrel is so I can properly break it in for her and it will be ready for her to shoot it the next time we go out.) Hey, it works for me! :)

malibu67rag
10-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Appreciate the feedback to my question. I have heard a broad spectrum of answers to this question like you have listed here and wanted to get the goods from the Savage faithful. My boys and wife got new 22's for Christmas last year and we pretty much followed the clean first, fire a bunch of times (approx. 50), then clean again procedure and everything seemed to work out fine. No issues and they are all accurate shooters with about a 1000 each down the pipe now. I wanted to see if anybody had any dire warnings regarding the 204 and its high velocity and it seems there is nothing extensive to worry about. foxx, I like your theory on break-in but I don't think my wife will let me take her toy to the range without her, not a bad thing though!
Thanks again,
Rob

Nandy
10-29-2014, 05:42 PM
If she is anything like me she would have a fit. I LOVE tinkering with the gun, cleaning it, reseting the entire set up, adding the aftermarket stuff, bore sighting it at home then gone to the range. If someone would do all that for me I would feel robbed!!! lol!!!
Good luck with it!

yobuck
10-29-2014, 07:46 PM
WELL, you do put your left leg first into your pants every day dont you? And your left sock goes on first?
As for 22 rimfire, you might be surprised to know that serious competetive shooters hardly ever clean their rifles.
If they start dropping a few xs from their prone score they begin to think about cleaning the gun. If it shoots good then stops
try cleaning it. Other wise be happy.

Nandy
10-29-2014, 10:04 PM
WELL, you do put your left leg first into your pants every day dont you? And your left sock goes on first?
Someone please make me a map, Im lost!!! lol!

foxx
10-29-2014, 10:36 PM
MAP: If you believe it matters what routine you follow when you put on your pants in the morning, Yobuck might be able to convince you his break-in method is better than the next.

--I think that's what he said, not sure. I also think I sprained my brain trying to figure it out myself.

Nandy
10-29-2014, 11:37 PM
lol, please dont get an aneurysm.... (see this http://www.cc.com/video-clips/suli6y/comedy-central-presents-college-horse I provide my own maps) lol!

yobuck
10-30-2014, 09:16 AM
MAP: If you believe it matters what routine you follow when you put on your pants in the morning, Yobuck might be able to convince you his break-in method is better than the next.

--I think that's what he said, not sure. I also think I sprained my brain trying to figure it out myself.

I dont do breakins, at my age i cant afford any jail time. Are there any other kind?

pisgah
11-01-2014, 09:33 AM
1. Read the owner's manual. I don't care how long you have owned guns, or if this is the tenth Model 12 to go in your safe. Read the manual.
2. Clean per instructions in the manual.
3. Load.
4. Shoot.
5. Repeat as needed.

malibu67rag
11-01-2014, 08:45 PM
pisgah you make a very good point. This will be the first Model 12 in our possesion and I believe your #1 instruction is a good place to start. It is usually against man's (my) nature to read or ask for directions but my wife has been working on training me for years. We shall read the manual and familiarize ourselves with any particulars for this rifle before it is actually shot and determine an appropriate break-in procedure. Thanks everybody for the knowledable feedback and entertaining input, this is a great forum!

big honkin jeep
11-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Here's the link from the Savage website. https://savagearms.zendesk.com/entries/23573147-What-is-the-barrel-break-in-procedure-/
As for me, I'm a firm believer.

chukarmandoo
11-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Here's the link from the Savage website. https://savagearms.zendesk.com/entries/23573147-What-is-the-barrel-break-in-procedure-/
As for me, I'm a firm believer.

I'm sure Savage dose this with each rifle they test! But what do I know? The quicker I can foul it the happier I am.

barrel-nut
11-02-2014, 06:29 PM
That link, although from the Savage website, references a procedure originally outlined in Precision Shooting magazine. The barrels that typically are featured on rifles in that publication (Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja etc) are miles ahead of the typical Savage barrel from the start, and as such may respond to a particular "break-in" regimen more noticeably due to their much more refined nature. A typical Savage barrel, after 5000 rounds, will not be as smooth as these barrels are before their first round is fired. So I don't see a whole lot of point in wearing myself out trying to treat them as such. Savages will foul, a lot generally, there's just no getting around it. Usually it actually helps, to a degree. So just shoot it, until accuracy falls off. Jmho

LongRange
11-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Here is a good read from gale McMillin about barrel break in...some ppl think barrel break in is gospel and has to be done....I have 2 shilen select match barrels one 300wm and one 260 rem...I broke in the 300 by the book and just started shooting groups with the 260...granted two totally different cals but the only difference I notice is that I wasted 50 rounds a bunch of cleaning supplies half a day and 10% of my barrel life.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

foxx
11-02-2014, 08:33 PM
That link, although from the Savage website, references a procedure originally outlined in Precision Shooting magazine. The barrels that typically are featured on rifles in that publication (Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja etc) are miles ahead of the typical Savage barrel from the start, and as such may respond to a particular "break-in" regimen more noticeably due to their much more refined nature. A typical Savage barrel, after 5000 rounds, will not be as smooth as these barrels are before their first round is fired. So I don't see a whole lot of point in wearing myself out trying to treat them as such. Savages will foul, a lot generally, there's just no getting around it. Usually it actually helps, to a degree. So just shoot it, until accuracy falls off. Jmho

Then clean it. Repeat.