PDA

View Full Version : Recoil lug question

Sendit104
10-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Today I just finished a rebuild on my m12 action. I installed a pac-nor barrel with a nss recoil lug. Upon final torquing and instillation into a mcree g5tmag it appears my recoil lug is canted perhaps a degree or two in the chassis. The barrel has more than enough clearance. Do I need to worry about the lug sitting slightly off centered? It appears to be making good contact on the recoiling face of the lug as best I can tell. Recoil lug face to chassis appears to be good it's just the angle in relation to the vertical if that makes sense
Thanks for the help
Chris

northlander
10-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Did you check for adequate clearance on the alignment pin. Some factory actions have a tight notch with little burrs or a Savage stamping on the bottom of the receiver that pushes a small piece of metal up into the notch reducing the required float for the alignment pin depth.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Sendit104
10-28-2014, 10:22 PM
The fit was a bit snug but it all went together smoothly and seems to fit well. Should there be play on the sides of the pin?

devildogandboy
10-29-2014, 02:27 PM
I have noticed that when the lug is ever so slightly canted that the barrel will pull to one side of the stock in the forearm area. I just reset the lug the best I can to eliminate the cant. if your barrel is sitting evenly spaced in the stock I wouldn't worry about it.

Bruce

Sendit104
10-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Bruce
It's just a bit out is square in the forend but the rifle had the same issue with the factory barrel and lug. There is tons of clearance in the new stock but it seems like this action has always had a little pull in it. Possibly an action issue?