PDA

View Full Version : To send in or not to send in?

harley4u2c
10-27-2014, 11:45 PM
I have a Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 in .243. Fluted 24in heavy barrel with 1 in 9.25 twist. Tried 2 different types of ammo. Hornady 95gr SST and 80gr GMX. The 95gr gave 1.25 - 1.50 in groups. 1.25 mainly. The 80 gr aparently would not stabilize and shot 3 in groups. My wife has a Axis Muddy Girl with a 20 in 9.25 barrel, and my son has an Axis with a 22 in 9.25 barrel. Both of there guns shoot 1/2 in groups at 100 yards with the 95gr SST. So naturally that was my first choice since I have plenty of it in the safe. So before I spent any more money I contacted Customer service. They informed my that my rifle should shoot MOA and smaller groups and it's tested with Federal 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip factory loads. I can't find any ANYWHERE. She almost immediately wanted to issue a UPS call ticket to have it picked up to be tested and repair if needed. In her second reply she wanted my address for me to send it in. So the big question is should I try a couple of loads I've read great things about or take her wanting me to send it in as a sign and go ahead and send it?

Side note: I will be reloading my own rounds starting around February March time frame. However if tolerance is off on the the gun somewhere it really won't do me a whole lot of good. Yes/No?

Ok let me have it. Thanks in advance.

basshawg42
10-28-2014, 12:06 PM
That's a tough one. Do you have a gunsmith that can look at it? From everything that I have read the people that have sent there guns in get them back shooting flawlessly. If you have another gun to use for now I would probably send it in.

scope eye
10-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Do you have access to a set of Headspace Gauges?

Dean

harley4u2c
10-28-2014, 01:13 PM
No I do not have access to guages. Maybe one day.

harley4u2c
10-28-2014, 01:14 PM
I do have a gunsmith in town, however haven't heard great reviews. He's fairly new in town.

scope eye
10-28-2014, 01:28 PM
All you have to do is ask him to do is check the headspace it"s not a big deal, or I would rent some and check myself it is not that hard,
all it is you put the green one in the chamber and close the bolt, if it closes your fine, then take the red one and do the same, except with this one the bolt should not close,
that is it, if there is any variation on these two the headspace is not right, and can wreak havoc on accuracy, among other things.

Dean

Nandy
10-31-2014, 09:36 PM
So, the factory says "I will pick the rifle up and make sure it works perfectly before it heads back to you" and you are wondering what to do??? Dont tinker with it, send it, let them work it out, that is what warranties are for and it is great to see a company that stands behind its products.

zippyhuntin
10-31-2014, 09:54 PM
The first thing I would do is make sure the action/bases/rings screws are all tight, and also try some different types of ammo.

5spd
11-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Savage fire test w/ different loads then you would use.
I had a new .223 that would not group worth a bucket of cow patties using my 50-55g loads. This load was sub moa in my other 2 savage .223s.
I sent it in after getting the OK to do so & ticket. I stating my exact load data, brass reasons etc.
I got it back and they shot a .333" group w/a 69g load and said nothing wrong w/it so needless to say that was a waste of 6 weeks time for me.

I would go over the gun 100% and have it bore scoped if you can then after double checking everything and if no changes then send it in.