PDA

View Full Version : axis vs mod 111?

john800
10-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Thinking about picking up a new deer rifle for my dad for xmas, going with a 270 and debating on an axis or a mod 111. I have a mod 11 and an older 110, so I am familar with those models, I have read and payed attention to info on the axis, followed peoples builds ect so I know a little about them from here, but I have never owned or shot one. someone on here has to have owned both, is there any advantage to one over the other? just wondering if there is anything you have picked up on that would not be apparent looking at one in the store. His left hand, his trigger hand gets cold easily due to a partally amputated index finger, which will requre him to waer some fairly warm gloves, so I am thinking the larger safety on the axis might be a plus, or maybee it wont make any difference.
Just looking to hear from someone who has some good trigger time on an axis. what do ya say?

rocklobster
11-04-2014, 02:49 PM
I hunt with an axis in 30 06, it is a great gun. You are right the safety is a bit more positive on the axis. The 111 uses the standard savage 10 action so aftermarket parts are more common, they both use the same plastic bottom/tang mag. The 111 comes with the accu trigger and a bit nicer stock, although you can mod the axis trigger super easy and get a boyds stock. If you are buying a package gun you will get a much better scope on the 111 trophy hunter.

If I could do it again I would go with the 111, but at the same time I am not selling my axis to get a 111. My axis is a tack driver, but I will admit the 30 06 kicks a bit hard in such a light gun, I am going to get a boyds laminate stock as soon as the funds allow.