PDA

View Full Version : Who is the crossbow guru onsite?

EFBell
10-27-2014, 06:03 PM
So my old tired eyes just aren't what they used to be... I'm thinking Crossbow is the next step and I'm looking real close at the Carbon express CX3 SL model. Any thoughts, opinions, models, brands? open for discussion. Thinking 6 bills is my limit but would prefer closer to 5.

Thanks

J.Baker
10-27-2014, 07:46 PM
All I can say is try before you buy if at all possible. Crossbow triggers can be horrible to say the least - like 8-10 pounds horrible on some models, so know what you're getting before you plunk down the money.

Not sure what they run, but TenPoint is who I'd recommend. Easily one of the biggest names in crossbows and they're based right here in Ohio. They're also the one's who bought out what assets were left when Horton went under in the spring of 2013.

EFBell
10-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Ten point is one I looked over but the price is very high. Trigger pull on the Carbon express is supposed to be 3.5#. Very manageable.

pdog06
10-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Ed,
I have been reviewing these as well for my son, and just settled on a Parker. The only other I was considering that has really good reviews were the Wicked Ridge models, which are made by Tenpoint.

From what Ive read stay away from the Barnetts! Price and Customer service is great but WAY too many people complaining of issues with them. A lot of limb trouble!

The Carbon Express models seemed too short of a length of pull for me(even though it is for my son....LOL) and the scope seems too high. May be ok to you though.

The Tenpoints are about as good as you can get but are pretty expensive. Their cheaper models are under the Wicked Ridge name and still very good bows.

I got my son the Parker Enforcer model, which is their lower end model as far as price goes($379 with 3x scope, quiver, and bolts). I bought the rope cocker and some broadheads and we were out hunting! It shoots 315fps, which is slower than some xbows, but as much or more than most compounds, and you can only kill a deer so dead...LOL I sighted it in in about 20 minutes and shot a 4inch 3shot group at 50 yards while shooting from a knee(no bench). Also, it only weighs 6.5 pounds and has a LIFETIME warranty! For the price it cant be beat.

Whatever you do, hold and shoulder as many models as you can to see what feels the most comfortable to you. Shoot them too if you can. That will narrow the search down a lot.

BTW, if you want to drive out to Lancaster Archery I will meet you there.....;) Just say when..

J.Baker
10-28-2014, 03:24 AM
Ed, the used market is always a good option as well, just stay away from Horton's as they're no longer in business. Most crossbows see very little use as you don't need to regularly practice with them year-round to keep your skills up like you do a compound or recurve bow. Check your local pawn shops, I know the ones around here usually have two or three used ones hanging on the wall for sale.

Jamie
10-28-2014, 07:46 AM
The Ten Point is the best option and Barnett the worst. The Wicked Ridge and Carbon Express are good solid choices as well.

Never, ever buy a used bow of any sort unless you know and trust the person selling it. Seen too many dry fired bows come through the shop to be restrung. When we tell the owner it needs to go back to the manufacturer to be checked and warranty doesn't cover it they all reply that they will just sell it online and buy a new one.

EFBell
10-28-2014, 09:23 PM
All good solid advice guys. Thanks. I have been reading up and looking for the 3 or 4th time now. I pretty much know to stay away from Barnett. I have shot a friends quad 400 and although it seems to function fairly well it's about as heavy as a tank and the scope is about as low grade as they come. I'll keep looking... I did scope out some of the parker models. Might look at them a little closer.

Mike, I'd love to come out to bow hunt with you, or slug gunning for that matter. It's been 2 long... oh, I have 2 5C doe tags.

Rick_W
10-29-2014, 06:14 PM
I pretty much know to stay away from Barnett. I have shot a friends quad 400 and although it seems to function fairly well it's about as heavy as a tank and the scope is about as low grade as they come.
And LOUD!

EFBell
10-29-2014, 07:08 PM
And LOUD!

Yes, I thought so too. but with minimal crossbow experience I really dont have much to compare it with

Rick_W
10-29-2014, 08:55 PM
If you have a Bass Pro with an indoor archery range close to you, you should be able to test a few out for comparison.

243LPR
10-29-2014, 10:34 PM
+1 on the Barnetts.Good friend of mine bought one after some shoulder problems and the limbs blew out the first year(unnerving to say the least). They rebuilt it for him under warranty but who knows how long that will last. My dad has a Ten Point now for over 5 years and it's a deer killing machine,never had a problem with it. Me,I'm sticking with the compound as long as possible.

sc1911cwp
10-30-2014, 08:00 AM
I had a recurve crossbow for a while by X-Caliber, a Canadian firm. Excellent quality. Simple without all the mechanical garbage. However they are loud and difficult to silence and can be not that easy to cock even with a cocking device. You still have to practice.

EFBell
11-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I looked at a few models and shot a couple. I decided on the Carbon Express CX-3 SL. It fits me decent, shoots nice and comes with a pretty decent multi ring lighted scope. Price was fair at 569.00 but a little over my 500 or less plan. I'm happy with my choice so far.
Put 3 dead center bull at 40 yards. Hey, just like I used to do with my compound before my vision got fuzzy... Oh well, now to go kill something...

EFBell
11-08-2014, 06:49 PM
****, IO almost bloodied this bad boy tonight already. Had several doe and one buck in front of me some 60 yards or so. One of the doe (A nice fat one) came to within 52 yards and suddenly turned around and rejoined the rest. Oh well, thats bow hunting.

jonbearman
11-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Xcalibur is the way!

EFBell
11-11-2014, 07:22 PM
I looked at them (Excalibur) but decided I wanted a compact compound.

ranger56528
12-07-2014, 05:46 AM
I got into crossbows about 7 years ago and own 5 had 6 just sold one,the Tenpoints for compound and Excalibur for recurve are your best bet,my main bow is a Stealth SS for compound and a Matrix 380 for recurve,I also have a new Mathews MXB 360 and two other Excals,now here is the main thing,they can be strung with a stringer or a string aid making it easy if you have shoulder or back issue,all good now let's talk about maintenance, TenPoint you need to bring it in for sting and cable replacement witch if something happens in the field your done,the Excal and MXB can both be serviced in the field,just carry a extra sting and for the Exal you'll also need a stringer,no big thing. Both these companies have great customer service witch is important and their warranties are great. Now if you do a lot of tree stand or blind hunting the recurves do well but if you like to stalk the compound is better being its narrower limb to limb,just remember to watch out for the limbs so they don't smack any tree limbs or sides of ground blind when you shoot, as far as arrows go there are a lot of good builders out there if you do not want to use factory arrows,they work just fine but like shooters reload shells crossbow guys like building arrows or have them built.
like buying a rifle you have to go into a shop and handle as many as you can,the ones I listed fit me well but might not work for you,you have to get one that fits you not one that we say to buy,know what I mean!.
just remember crossbows are a one shot deal and no matter what you do they still are somewhat loud and take time to restring.
i could go on but I'll stop,remember arrows have fletching/vain's and BOLTs have threads and hold things together.
Good luck.