PDA

View Full Version : Matched Ring Question - Am I Screwed?

mjphawk
10-25-2014, 05:57 PM
I am in the middle of my first long range rifle build. I bought a pair of Vortex Matched Rings (~$100). This is my first set of matched rings and I failed to read the instructions before putting them on the gun. The instructions say to keep the tops with the bottoms and to keep the orientation of the top the same as it was packaged.

I am fairly certain that I kept the tops matched to the bottoms but have no idea of I kept the orientation the same. There is a "30" printed on both the top and the bottom. Should those etching match up 1) both on left/right side or 2) both at front / back.

Did I screw up and basically ruin my new rings? I have a lapping kit but didn't plan on lapping them since eventually the scope will be coming off when the barrel goes in for threading. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DzNutz
10-25-2014, 07:44 PM
From the looks of the picture, if you didn't mix up the tops and bottoms from each other, you should be safe orienting the Vortex emblem to the way the bases are posed in the picture (base screws on left and vortex emblem readable in same direction).

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/rac_rings_pmr-35-95_pcs-t.jpg

devildogandboy
10-25-2014, 08:06 PM
if your still not sure call the Vortex people, hear they have great customer service.

Bruce

J.Baker
10-25-2014, 09:31 PM
If it's that critical that the rings halves be paired a certain way, the manufacturer should have marked each half accordingly so the end user can just match up the marks. But that would be to simple and make to much sense...

mjphawk
10-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Vortex really is living up to their reputation for outstanding customer service. I got the following reply bright and early this morning (Monday).

The orientation or placement of the top halves in inconsequential. The only crucial thing is to keep the clamps on the bottom halves facing the same direction when mounted on the rifle. In short, you have nothing to worry about and did not do anything to jeopardize the quality or function of the rings.