PDA

View Full Version : Savage 212: 212 Question: 2-3/4 or 3" Sabots

hprieger
10-25-2014, 04:59 AM
Hi there,

got my new 212 with scope mounted, all fine. However, I cannot use it until about 3 weeks from now and I have a question:

I read in several reviews/forums that using 2-3/4 shells might cause some ejection problems. Now in terms of recoil/ballistics I don't care if I shoot 2-3/4 or 3" shells, however, what is your experience? Is it true that one experiences ejection problems with the 2-3/4 shells? After all, a 3" chaber should be used with 3" shells for optimal performance, or am I splitting hairs.

The guy atthe gunshop however told me that people have experienced better grouping with the 2-3/4 shells, might be due to less recoil.

Anyway, what is your take from your experience?

I appreciate any feedback and help.

Thanks!

J.Baker
10-25-2014, 06:44 AM
I've reviewed both the 212 and the 220 slug guns in the past and ran 2-3/4" shells through them just fine with no issues.

hprieger
10-25-2014, 06:51 AM
Thanks! I was just a little uneasy after reading too much reviews. So no issues also with reloading from the 2 shell magazine? So do you first load the shell into the chamber and then the magazine or vice versa? Any difference?

J.Baker
10-25-2014, 09:36 AM
I was just shooting from the bench so I'd load two in the magazine, slap it into place and jack one in. If I were hunting I would have put one in the pipe + the two in the magazine to get that extra round if needed.