PDA

View Full Version : 110E bolt head scoring

this_guy
10-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Hello. First post. I've recently received an older 110E in .270 thats in been in the family a long time. Started going through it. The forward action screw was rubbing the underside of the bolt head. The bolt stamping matches the receivers serial numbers. So they must be a matched pair. So can I replace just the bolt head? Do I even need to replace it? Ive got some good pics, just havent figured out how to post yet. Thanks!

BillPa
10-24-2014, 09:09 PM
Over time the stock material compressed allowing the screw to protrude into the the lug recess or the screw was too long when new. In either case you don't need to replace the bolt head, ether shorten the screw or have pillars installed of the correct length.

Bill

this_guy
10-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Bill, thanks for the reply. The wood stocks can compress that much? Thats amazing. I cut the screw down a bit to temp fix it. I'm planning to do a pillar bedding on it at some point.

strut64
10-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Your good to go. scaring is unsightly but won't weaken the lug at all. it has been known to happen with scope base screws as well.

bootsmcguire
10-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Pillar bed it and go have fun.

44magleo
12-12-2014, 02:30 PM
If your going to do the pillars, I wouldn't shorten the bolt. I would use a washer under the head. This will let you use that bolt after the pillars.
Leo