PDA

View Full Version : Switch from 300 win mag to 260 rem

Ramstud41
10-24-2014, 07:17 PM
I have a savage 111 in 300 win mag and am wanting to switch to 260 rem. I know I'm going to have to get a .473 bolt face, but I didn't know what else is needed. Do I need to change the firing pin, magazine, etc? Thanks for the help

jonbearman
10-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Magazine,yes ,firing pin ,maybe if you could measure the firing pin where it goes through the bolt head it would tell us if it is newer or older so you can match up a bolt head to your current pin.Sic=nce you have a long action a 30-06 type would work and add a space if needed to the inside of the mag box . I have a .260 on a long action using the 30-06 mag box and I can seat the bullets way out and it works good.

Wildboarem
10-26-2014, 12:42 PM
I built my wife's .243 off of a 116 in 7rm. I switched the bolt face, made no additional changes to the bolt. As far magazines go, I changed the stock to a Choate from the original hinged floor plate 116 stock. I wanted to go back to the 7mm and original stock if my wife ever wants to use it for Elk hunting. The Choate has a LA blind mag and the .308 based case feeds with no problems after a little tweaking. I'm not sure if the Magnum magazines have a slightly different follower or not, but I wouldn't think that anything other than a new bolt face and maybe follower/mag would be needed.

Ramstud41
10-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the help. I didn't know what kind of follower I needed. My bolt has the small firing pin so I should be good. Do you guys buy all the parts for a new bolt face or do you just transfer from the old bolt face? I can't seem to find a place that has them all in stock at the same time

Wildboarem
10-26-2014, 09:53 PM
I stripped my old bolt head and put everything on the new one. Numerich/Gun parts can have all the parts to make a complete one or maybe even Savage. I would rather have a complete bolt head sitting in the parts drawer than a stripped one.
I'm sure if you need a different follower or not. I like to look at the parts diagram on the different models on Numerich. I'd there are two different part numbers, that could be an indication that a follower change is needed. I would try the follower you have first to see if it feeds. If it ain't broke don't fix it.