PDA

View Full Version : 243WSSSM Magazine Feed

claysshotgunner
10-22-2014, 11:22 PM
I put everything together on a new rifle and made my favorite, a 243wsssm. I used a 270wsm Model 11 for the action. So, it is a large shank blind magazine action, stagger feed. Everything works perfect until I load the magazine. Failure to feed. Either the bullet dives into the front of the mag or the bolt rides over the next case.

Anyone have any tips I can use to get the magazine to feed correct. I have tried different ideas I had, but none have helped at all.

I had a Winchester Model 70 before that worked great.

Thanks for any ideas or guesses.

bootsmcguire
10-22-2014, 11:43 PM
The Win 70's that were built as WSSM's were special short actions and magazine specifically designed for the WSSM. Savage never made a WSSM so no factory option there. I would be willing to bet that your best bet would be to attempt to try a Centerfeed Setup for a WSM, but even then I am betting that the WSSM will be like the 6BR, near impossible to get to feed.

I had a 223 WSSM for awhile, never even attempted to feed with it. Used a SS follower from day one.

sharpshooter
10-23-2014, 12:58 AM
The super shorts won't feed from a stagger feed mag either, but they will feed from a center feed WSM mag.

snowgetter1
10-23-2014, 02:15 AM
Mine fed ok from a centerfeed mag, but I went to a single shot follower.

claysshotgunner
10-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Guess I am gonna need to figure out what way to go for this.

snowgetter1
10-24-2014, 02:41 AM
It will work, however, after shooting a buddy's Winchester 223 wssm, if I wanted a magazine fed rifle for hunting I would buy a Winchester or browning in a wssm. The action is so short it just makes an awesome rifle.