PDA

View Full Version : 10ML/10ML-II: Just bought a 10ML-II and need some suggestions.

teddy12b
04-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey everyone,
Patience finally paid off. I have been looking for a used savage muzzleloader for a while now and I finally found the right one. I'm really looking forward to not having to strip down my encore and clean out the black powder residue.

Now, I need to know what powder & bullets to buy for the best accuracy. I'll be using this for deer hunting and I'd like to be able to take game at 300 yards if the combo is capable of that. I have a collection of powerbelts and hornady sabots at the house, but probably not the correct smokeless powder.

What's your favorite pet load for your 10ML-II that you get both good accuracy and good on-game performance with? Thanks in advance!!

jpdown
04-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Go to Randy Wakeman's site for lots of good information on your new muzzleloader www.randywakeman.com/savage3.htm (http://www.randywakeman.com/savage3.htm).

This article covers Pet Load for the Savage muzzleloader www.randywakeman.com/ballltd100.htm (http://www.randywakeman.com/ballltd100.htm).

I've found it hard to beat the 300 gr Barnes Original, Orange MMP sabot and N120 powder combination. Accurate, tough, high BC bullet that delivers plenty of game stopping energy out to 300 yards. Savage does not recommend sabotless bullets (ex.Powerbelt) with smokeless powder. LOL

screwgunner
04-17-2010, 07:47 AM
I defiantly agree the 300 bo is the best but tyring to find n120 is some what difficult not unless you order in on-line. my gun likes aa2015 70 grains by weight that should get you out to 300 yards

tucker301
04-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Excellent load information here as well.
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=loads&action=display&thread=586

teddy12b
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I finally got a chance to watch the video that came with the gun and I have to admit that I was really disappointed in it. There wasn't anything as far as load data, gun disassembly or anything other than a short TV type comercial for the gun.

I'm starting to get excited about using this gun!

RandyWakeman
06-10-2010, 10:13 AM
http://randywakeman.com/MOAand300YardDOAMuzzleloadingSavage_10ML.htm

You'll still need to do some of your own individual test and trial. Yes, N120 can be a pain to get; the shipment that just came in about three weeks ago is already sold out. If you want some when available, you might want to get it on order directly with the importer: email Jeannie @ jbolda@kaltron.com.

Reloder 7 is about the best "N120 sub" I've found-- very close.

gpa357
06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
There certainly are loads that can get you there as said, but at that distance it comes down to the shooter more so than the load. Making a shot at that distance is a pretty tall order. Don't get me wrong, there are people who can make that shot(certainly not me) but you better be committed to some serious range time. But even if you make the shot at the range you will contend with different circumstances in the field, weather conditions, maybe stronger winds, no shooting bench and sand bags to shoot from. IMO it takes a very special and talented shooter to make a 300yd shot on an animal with a stock Savage. Just my two cents. Enjoy your new Gun and have fun. :)

TechHunter
06-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Try Hornady 250 grains XTPs, Harvester red ribbed sabots and 42 grains of VN-110. I've clocked that load at 2350 and it groups 1" @ 100 yds. Good shooting.

teddy12b
06-14-2010, 09:06 AM
The thing about all this that seems weird to me is that I haven't found an official Savage starting load yet. Seems like they would have published something somewhere about where to get started loading for these guns.

EFBell
06-14-2010, 10:09 AM
If you dont have the manual go to Savages website and look at the MLII owners manual. There are load listings there.

Monkeymaster
10-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I recommend STEEL BASES AND STEEL RINGS, if you use a scope.
Also, just a friendly reminder , when using smokeless, it needs to be weighed , not a volume measure like black powder and its substitutes.
Good luck.

leroy adkins
10-22-2010, 08:15 PM
There certainly are loads that can get you there as said, but at that distance it comes down to the shooter more so than the load. Making a shot at that distance is a pretty tall order. Don't get me wrong, there are people who can make that shot(certainly not me) but you better be committed to some serious range time. But even if you make the shot at the range you will contend with different circumstances in the field, weather conditions, maybe stronger winds, no shooting bench and sand bags to shoot from. IMO it takes a very special and talented shooter to make a 300yd shot on an animal with a stock Savage. Just my two cents. Enjoy your new Gun and have fun. :)
I JUST GOT A SAVAGE ML2 THE POWDER THEY SAY TO USE IS HARD TO GET HERE BUT I TRYED 41GRS 4198 WITH A GREEN SABOT AND A300GR SERRIA BULLET AT 210 YARDS AT A TARGET WITH A TURKEY ON IT I HADE A SCOPE WITH MILDOTS I USED THE 2 DOT BELOW THE CROSEHIER AND HIT THE TURKEYS HEAD TO TIMES SHOOTS GOOD AT 100 YARDS ALLSO BUT I AM JUST LERNING

EFBell
10-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I recommend STEEL BASES AND STEEL RINGS, if you use a scope.
Also, just a friendly reminder , when using smokeless, it needs to be weighed , not a volume measure like black powder and its substitutes.
Good luck.

That depends entirely on the volume measure you are talking about. A blackpowder volume measure should not be used. The correct Lee dippers are safe to use for volume measure with certain powders and certain loads.