PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Vises vs Action wrench

Pages : 1 [2]

Blitzfike
10-25-2014, 06:40 PM
I've experienced Igor's wrath on several actions that I removed the barrel on for the first time. Every one of them had bead blast metal balls throughout the barrel receiver and nut threads. They sure gum up the removal process, at least they do for me. I use a barrel nut wrench and a set of aluminum blocks machined for various barrel sizes in my 20 ton press to hold the barrel. Whack the wrench with a hammer and it usually comes right off.. There are certainly exceptions...

LongRange
10-25-2014, 07:51 PM
ok ill be the bad guy here and say it....YOU DO NOT NEED AN ACTION WRENCH FOR A SAVAGE...and anyone who says you do is and idiot....ive change several factory installed barrels and have NEVER had one not come loose with a little heat in a barrel vise with and nut wrench....with a barrel vise there is no need to support the action or build a jig....spend the $66 bucks and buy the Davidson aluminum vise and be done with it....ive changed 20 plus barrels with the Davidson vise using an index card to not mar the barrels and have yet to have a problem..everyone has their opinions but coming from a NON EXPERT if your going to rebarrel once youll do it again.

foxx
10-25-2014, 09:26 PM
LongRange, I take exception to your statement that anyone is an idiot if they say you need an action wrench to remove a Savage barrel... The basic consensus here is that you generally DO need EITHER a barrel vise or an action wrench. If I want to be a jerk I could say anyone who says you need a barrel vise to remove a savage barrel is an idiot because I've managed to remove a dozen factory installed barrels with nothing more than an action wrench and nut wrench. Of course, I would never say such a thing. That would be idiotic. :)

upSLIDEdown
10-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Easy guys... Seems like everyone likes action wrenches better that barrel vises. He was just saying you can do the same job with just a barrel vise.

I for one, use a big shop vise, with a pair of oak blocks I cut channels in, as a barrel vise, and have done just fine with them. Basically free, no money spent. And im happy with that. Just don't want people thinking you HAVE to spend the $$$ on these items. It can be done without.

foxx
10-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Easy guys... Seems like everyone likes action wrenches better that barrel vises. He was just saying you can do the same job with just a barrel vise.

I for one, use a big shop vise, with a pair of oak blocks I cut channels in, as a barrel vise, and have done just fine with them. Basically free, no money spent. And im happy with that. Just don't want people thinking you HAVE to spend the $$$ on these items. It can be done without.

Okay, I don't want a fight, either. Here's my next question, though. I considered the barrel vise and just went for the action wrench instead. Don't know why. What advantage, if any, is there to having the barrel vise instead of the action wrench? (I'm talking a real barrel vise, my shop vise was too small and I could not make it hold a barrel for anything).

upSLIDEdown
10-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Fair question. From my side, I don't know. Because I don't own either one. Maybe longrange can answer that.

olddav
10-26-2014, 08:03 AM
My first barrel swap was performed with a home made barrel vise and worked very well. My next attempt did not go so smooth, barrel slipped in vice (oak blocks) with or with rosin. and in the end I had to cut the nut off. If I was not so inpatient and cheep I would have purchased a action wrench. I myself am not a big fan of applying heat to any part of a fire arm, however I may just be paranoid but then again paranoia can be a useful tool.

Blitzfike
10-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I've used action wrenches on many other brands of rifles, and on those, it is by far the best way to remove a barrel without distorting the action. I will eventually get around to milling an action wrench for the Savage, and when I do, I'm pretty sure removing a barrel will be easier than with the barrel wrench. With the action wrench, tighten it on the receiver, set the barrel nut wrench at about a 12 to 15 degree angle from the action wrench handle, place it on a piece of cardboard on the concrete floor and stand on the barrel nut wrench, almost guaranteed to come off the first try (Thats what I've been told by several members of the barrel nut society.) Makes sense to me.

sharpshooter
10-26-2014, 10:07 PM
I guess there are more than one way to skin a cat, but in the last 15 years I've busted more barrel nuts loose than everyone on this board combined, times 10... and I have never used an action wrench.
Every time someone sends me an action that needs to be "untwisted", it was caused by an action wrench not used properly.

LongRange
10-27-2014, 09:08 AM
LongRange, I take exception to your statement that anyone is an idiot if they say you need an action wrench to remove a Savage barrel... The basic consensus here is that you generally DO need EITHER a barrel vise or an action wrench. If I want to be a jerk I could say anyone who says you need a barrel vise to remove a savage barrel is an idiot because I've managed to remove a dozen factory installed barrels with nothing more than an action wrench and nut wrench. Of course, I would never say such a thing. That would be idiotic. :)

i guess that came out wrong and i apologize because it was not meant the way it sounds...i think the reason most ppl use an action wrench is because it comes in the wheeler kit with the nut wrench so they decide to use it and then think thats the only way to go because it worked but i can pretty much guarantee you if you bought a nice barrel vise you would most likely never use an action wrench again...matter of fact the next time you need to change a barrel i will ship you my barrel vise to try and see what you think...but you gotta send mine back and buy your own after you try it LOL!!
another thing with a barrel vise is it will support the barrel and action while you head space or work on your riffle or what ever...ill post a pic or 2 of mine with a riffle in it later.

foxx
10-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Cool. Got it. Thanks.

Fred ( Sharpshooter) seems to think the same thing. If I were to start over, then, I would also go with barrel vise.

LongRange
10-27-2014, 05:31 PM
This is the vise with my 15lb 260 in it

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/photo2-11.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo2-11.jpg.html)

LongRange
10-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Another...

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1-11.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1-11.jpg.html)

LongRange
10-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Last one...I use an index card to keep from scratching or marring the barrel...and sorry for 3 separate post my computer is down and my tablet does weird stuff when posting more than one at a time.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/photo3-7.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo3-7.jpg.html)

Nandy
10-30-2014, 11:56 PM
I guess there are more than one way to skin a cat, but in the last 15 years I've busted more barrel nuts loose than everyone on this board combined, times 10... and I have never used an action wrench.
Every time someone sends me an action that needs to be "untwisted", it was caused by an action wrench not used properly.

What he said, and that is what I use. (mine is hardwood in a vise) I think Fred knows a thing or two about savages...

geargrinder
10-31-2014, 12:13 AM
I think you mean Fred.

The only thing a barrel vise lacks is the positive engagement that the action wrench has.

Nandy
10-31-2014, 05:49 PM
I think you mean Fred.

You were right. I fixed my post, thanks.

The good thing about the barrel vise is that you wont twist the action. That is a possibility with the action vise specially if the person is a novice plus if you have a regular vise at home the cost of it is just the hardwood. To each it's own, to the inexperienced, well, the only way to know what you will like better is to try them both....