PDA

View Full Version : Can one open the barrel channel on a laminate stock?

jimbo88mm
04-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi guys,

I am strongly considering a Thumbhole stock for my stevens 200 (staggard feed). Right now I am looking at the Tundra Classic from stockys or the Ross featherweight from Boyds.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/Detail?category=BARGAIN+BARN%3ALaminated+Blowouts&no=503&searchpath=53475

or

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Thumbhole-Replacement-Stocks-Savage-Stevens-s/36.htm

Both of these stocks I believe are for sporter barrels. Some time down the road I will change out the stevens barrel for something heavier. Can these stocks be opened up without any problems?

Also, any thoughts on these two choices?

Most of the shooting with this rifle will be done on the bench so I am not too concerned with weight.

Thanks

torjy
04-15-2010, 03:18 PM
I personally find Boyds business ethics deplorable and avoid them at all costs (they screw up an order and charge you for it)

As far as opening up a stock for a heavier barrel, should be no problem with sandpaper wrapped around a round object such as a large dowel close to the desired barrel size and a dose of elbow grease, followed by a wood sealer.

If most of your shooting is off of bags you might consider a stock with a wide fore end similar to a benchrest type stock for better stability.

pdog06
04-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Id just get one from Stocky's that already has a varmint barrel channel. Then you'll have the wider forend. With the one you're speaking of you can widen it, but the sides will be thin.

jimbo88mm
04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Yea, that makes sense.

Any problems with a sporter barrel in a Varmint channel other then looking odd?

Maybe it would be best to just wait until I have everything together instead of trying to use the rifle in "mid-upgrade".

mopar440
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
no problems at all just free floating at its extreme thats how mine is right now shot all last year only about 150 rounds i knew i would be ordering a varmit barrel so i got stock for that just waiting on my barrel from NSS now