PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on windage adjustable rings or bases (pic rail mounted) for 110 FCP?

GeminiZ06
10-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Just learned from my most recent and only experience with a savage rifle purchase - Savage does not enforce any spec on the allowable misalignment between the factory scope base rail and the barrel/action POI. The factory scope rail on this brand new rifle is confirmed to be 21 MOA windage off at 100 yards from POI. My Schmidt and Bender only has +/-16MOA of adjustment - rings are nightforce ultralights. So I need to get at least 15MOA back in order to get my full elevation capability.

In speaking with their customer service - they explicitly stated they do not enforce any clear spec. They use the following as a guide: If they can mount a 9X Leupold on the rifle and dial in windage so POA matches POI - the rifle is in spec. When asked how much elevation could be dialed in with windage so off, they stated as long as it provides at least 8 MOA of elevation adjustment - the rifle is in spec. I will never be buying another savage again.

Lastly - I should mention the rail is also visibly canted to the right - the naked eye can pick up the cant. Everyone that has been involved in this issue including the gun store has agreed including Savage themselves (their gunsmith) - they just don't enforce any clearly defined spec for rail alignment.

But since I have to keep this rifle - I might as well try and make it work. So - this is not a Savage bashing thread - just a Savage improvement thread - please let me know your thoughts on which windage adjustable products would provide the needed adjustability to get POA to match up with POI on this rifle. Also - what optics would you suggest that would be more of a match for this rifle - since the S&B is going on a GAP custom 338 - a rifle more deserving of that kind of glass.

I am thinking Leupold - non-variable power - just one power setting - and the best windage adjustable rings available. Savage stated they replaced the rail since they did see issues with that. They also stated the receiver holes are within tolerance but are at their limits so the screws are torqued a bit higher than spec due to contact with the rail. needless to say - I appreciate honesty. I can work with this to make something that will at least shoot to 1000 yards.

So - please send me your ideas on rings and bases that can dial out the windage slope.

Thanks