PDA

View Full Version : 116 jamming and failing to load

Berserker
10-19-2014, 05:08 PM
I just bought a used 116 FXP3, 30-06. Stainless, synthetic stock. Looks to be about new, sticker still on. I have been having problems with it loading. This gun has blind mag in stock I was shooting today and the bolt jammed the new round. Another time the bolt passed over the new round, and all I had was a click.

Loading this thing at home a few times I had the bolt just go over the round. Seems if you put the round to far the rear it will not not load. It is is then stuck in there too.

Any suggestions for this? I never expected problems loading with a bolt action gun, which is why I buy bolt action guns. Maybe why the last guy sold it right away.

Thanks.

Berserker
10-20-2014, 03:37 PM
I am wondering if someone rebarrelled a large caliber and sold it to Cabelas, think big store who cares. Buying used it is buyer beware, but I am going to bring it back to them and see what they say. It jams and fails to load alot. That shouldn't happen with bolt.

I have pic I was going to attach, but I am guessing I haven't been a member long enough. But there is about 3/4" of space at the rear of the cartridge when it is in magazine.

Going to find a link and enter serial number see what it started life as.

Berserker
10-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Serial number says it started life as 30-06, which it is now. Why is the magazine so long and sloppy?

I hear lots of talk about the accuracy or Savages and the accutrigger. I am hoping that was the same in 2006. I sighted in at 25 yards, and it was great. Really like the trigger. Started rain when I went to 50.

MOD 116FXP3 30/06 SP - Manufactured: 10/19/2006

J.Baker
10-20-2014, 04:08 PM
If you pull the barreled action out of the stock, is there a metal L-shaped clip (hanger) that attaches to the back of the magazine and rests in a groove in the stock just behind the magazine? If not, that clip is what you're missing as that's what sets the height for the rear of the magazine. Without it the rear of the magazine will sit to low and not allow the bolt to pick up a round.

Here's a pic of the L-Clip attached to the back of the magazine box.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/cetrfedlclip.jpg

And here's a pic showing how the L-clip rests in the stock.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/billinsd/IMGP1578.jpg

Berserker
10-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks. I am in a tree bear hunting at the moment.

jonbearman
10-20-2014, 09:33 PM
What caliber is stamped into the side of the magazine?

Berserker
10-21-2014, 01:46 PM
I need to take it apart and look. But I will check thanks.

I was looking at an old book on variety of guns, and it had the 110. It looked that L clip used to be part of the magazine.

Berserker
10-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Side of the magazine says STD Long. Is this correct?

The bracket is on the magazine like in the picture.

Seems to be working fine now. I sighted it in today, before i took it apart. No problem when I only loaded 2 rounds, as long as made sure they were not to far back when putting them in. Seems like it works ok with only 2 rounds in it. 4 rounds seems to be a problem.

J.Baker
10-21-2014, 07:12 PM
4 rounds would be a problem considering it's only designed to hold 3. When you see 4 listed on the manufacturer's website they're indicating 3 in the magazine and one in the chamber.

Berserker
10-21-2014, 08:47 PM
4 rounds would be a problem considering it's only designed to hold 3. When you see 4 listed on the manufacturer's website they're indicating 3 in the magazine and one in the chamber.
That would explain why the 4th round was so tight. I was starting to suspect. My 700 and 760 are 4+1. I grew up thinking hunting guns held 5 rounds.

Either way it is loading ok, as long as keep the rounds forward. I bought the gun used, but it had the sticker on it. Did the springs need exercise? The length of the magszine still gives me doubt as for reliability. Have to shoot it more. Ran at of ammo. had to save the last for tonights hunt. Hopefully load some up this week.

Does savage just use a generic magazine? My 700 is fairly close to the length of the round. It is gets hard to check other guns. If you bring a round into the store, it might get funny.

Either way I really like this trigger. I like the safety, not for a safety, but for a set up to firing. Sorta like getting lined up.

I may try bedding the stock. Just cause I like to try things. Where I hunt it doesn't make a difference, never shot over 40-50 yards. But maybe someday. I also bought this for if I ever get to go on big trip.

big honkin jeep
10-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Mag spring maybe backwards?

Berserker
10-22-2014, 07:54 PM
I didn't pay attention when I took it apart, but I did use the parts diagram when I put it back together.

Berserker
10-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Cabelas flyer has 116 for 525 after Savage mail in rebate. I paid 550, used, but with sticker and tags on. Guess I should have done my research. But they didn't have any in stock. Either way I am happy with the purchase. But though someone else would want to know about Savages rebate.

$25-75
http://www.savagearms.com/promotions/

Berserker
10-31-2014, 04:27 PM
This is my first rifle barrel in stainless, other then 22, and it is only 6.5lbs. I was looking at Remington Mountain guns, and was told you need to let it cool, due to lighter barrel. Not sure if they cut back on weight or stock with this gun. Got 3 more boxes, like to try it a few different ranges, and have it proven for deer season. Got some other guns to shoot to let it cool.

Berserker
11-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Click. One out of 24 failure this weekend. Plus all the PIA digging out the 2nd round while loading. Somehow the 2nd round gets cockeyed alot. The goofy scope base I had to use to mount a Leopold don't help. But doesn't explain the failure to load. I am used to a 700. But my Mosin Nagant has never failed to load either.

Bad spring? Of course the one I got that is 40 years old and 60 year old is fine.

If it wasn't stainless, I would consider it junk. Can't sell it unless I tell someone it is junk. Which usually doesn't sell.

Berserker
11-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Hunting with it. 1 shot is all I need. So thick around here hard to get 2nd shot. Glad for stainless snow is up to my knees.

Berserker
02-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Found an arrived thread that said check magazine lips. I thought it would be the opposite, but said if bolt is passing over cartridge you need to close the lips.

http://www.savageshooters.com/archive/index.php/t-17271.html