PDA

View Full Version : 12 LRP Skim Bedding

Anton Chigurh
10-19-2014, 09:18 AM
I have been considering picking up a 12LRP instead of building a LR target rifle. I know they come with the HS stocks with an aluminum bedding block, which I'm familiar with. I know some guys, including the gunsmith I normally use, skim beds (with Devcon) Remingtons and other actions in HS stocks for a perfect fit.

Will the 12LRP action likely benefit from skim bedding? Anyone here done one?

I'm trying to figure out how "upgradeable" the 12LRP will be vs building one from the get go.

Thanks in advance for any info provided....

jonbearman
10-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Upgrading a model 12 lrp is just as easy as any savage,the next is skim bedding which I highly recommend. This is because the vee block doesn't conform with a receiver that has been machined and heat treated and becomes slightly warped. So I would definetly skim bed it for maximum contact between the vee block and the bottom of the receiver.

Anton Chigurh
10-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks Jon. The 12 LRP seems like a good buy for a starter LR rig. Target action with DBM, I think it currently comes with HS vertical grip stock, and of course it would be easy to fit a CBI or Shilen barrel on it if the factory tube isn't great.

The big difference I can see with buying the 12 LRP instead of building is I would need to like (and stay with) the HS stock and the accutrigger vs aftermarket offerings, like a Manners stock and a Timney or Rifle basix

jhelmuth
10-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Anton... I have to totally disagree with the first comment.

I have 3 of these Savage setups (1x .223 - 1x .308 - and 1x .260) and the WORST of these shoots a grouping of .34 MOA (the .223) with the other two shooting right at 0.26/0.25 MOA ...and NONE are bedded.

2 of the 3 have the Savage Model 12 Precision Target Action, and the 3rd has a Stevens 200 Action.

Maybe these folks had horrible Actions, or really bad stocks, but my experience is that the HS Precision stock is a PERFECT stock for the Savage Action right out of the box.

Here's an idea... put it together and develop a load for it. If you can't get below 0.4 MOA with that combination, maybe you'd want to think about a skim bedding. But I seriously doubt you will get any better performance after having done so...

All the best, and good shootin'

Jim

BillPa
10-19-2014, 11:10 PM
I know some guys, including the gunsmith I normally use, skim beds (with Devcon) Remingtons and other actions in HS stocks for a perfect fit.

Will the 12LRP action likely benefit from skim bedding? Anyone here done one?

Thanks in advance for any info provided....

When someone asks if bedding will help my standard answer is "Yes, No, Maybe", but if done correctly it certainly won't hurt. I bedded some with no improvement at all or like a Brown I bedded for a guy said, "You turned my 1-1/2" gun into a 1/2" gun. You'll never know unless.........

If its any help, all my bolt guns are bedded save for the keepsakes and those I want to keep 100% original.

Bill

homefrontsniper
10-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Anton... I have to totally disagree with the first comment.

I have 3 of these Savage setups (1x .223 - 1x .308 - and 1x .260) and the WORST of these shoots a grouping of .34 MOA (the .223) with the other two shooting right at 0.26/0.25 MOA ...and NONE are bedded.

2 of the 3 have the Savage Model 12 Precision Target Action, and the 3rd has a Stevens 200 Action.

Maybe these folks had horrible Actions, or really bad stocks, but my experience is that the HS Precision stock is a PERFECT stock for the Savage Action right out of the box.

Here's an idea... put it together and develop a load for it. If you can't get below 0.4 MOA with that combination, maybe you'd want to think about a skim bedding. But I seriously doubt you will get any better perfor
mance after having done

All the best, and good shootin'

Jim

What he said ^ My Creedmoor shoots 1/4" with 123 gr. Scenars!

foxx
10-19-2014, 11:29 PM
LOL

What Bill said. :) Can't hurt, might help. Assuming, of course, it's done PROPERLY.
Would I pay someone to do it? Never.
Can I do it myself? Yes.
Does it usually take me 2-3 tries to get it right? YEP.
Do I enjoy it? Yep.

What's the problem? :)

Anton Chigurh
10-20-2014, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. I would work up a load and shoot the rifle before bedding or upgrading anything. I haven't even bought the rifle, I'm just thinking if I do and it doesn't shoot as well as I want how far will I go with it..

All the reports of these 12s shooting so well helps though. I need to get my hands on an LRP to see how I like that HS Stock

macguru
11-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I would work up a load and shoot the rifle before bedding or upgrading anything. I haven't even bought the rifle, I'm just thinking if I do and it doesn't shoot as well as I want how far will I go with it..

All the reports of these 12s shooting so well helps though. I need to get my hands on an LRP to see how I like that HS Stock

The one thing you will possibly need to do is put on a better barrel, but who knows you may be lucky. The action and bedding are probably fine. I have had 3 of these and the 223 had a great barrel, the 6.5 terrible, the third i did not even look, just sold it and i'm having an aftermarket target one fitted right from the start (stainless)

Nor Cal Mikie
11-19-2014, 04:04 PM
The object of the "V Block" is so you don't have to deal with bedding. Either pillars or V block. Metal to metal fit. The V Block isn't meant to fit the bottom of the action, that's why it's a "V Block".
If you want full contact between the bottom of the action and the stock, add pillars and do a full bedding job. If you want to be able to remove the action from the stock and when you reinstall it. it goes back in the same place every time, stick with the V Block. My choice is the V Block on all 5 of my rigs. Whidden to be exact.

LongRange
11-19-2014, 11:23 PM
What bill and foxx said...but to answer you last question about build vs buy...build it if you have the time and money.