PDA

View Full Version : Barreled action wiggle

iehooligan11b
10-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Hey guys. Just installed a new bull barrel and a choate tactical stock on my savage 11. I noticed that now the barreled action wiggles a bit with slight pressure on the barrel. The action screws are tight, but there is noticeable wiggle on the read side of the action within the stock. Any suggestions? I have read that the choate stock doesn't doesn't need to be bedding because of the aluminum V cut or whatever it is. But does this seem like a bedding issue or something else?

olddav
10-18-2014, 08:00 PM
It sounds like the action screws are too long, not tightening up before they bottom out.

scope eye
10-18-2014, 08:08 PM
It sounds like the action screws are too long, not tightening up before they bottom out.

That sounds about right.

Dean

scope eye
10-19-2014, 03:41 AM
I take that back it would interfere with the bolt cycle, unless the new ones are not drilled all the way through they action.

Dean

olddav
10-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Recoil lug bottoming out? I am assuming that the stock sound.
It does sound like there is a high spot somewhere on the stock.

iehooligan11b
10-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Checked recoil lug, not bottoming out. The screws were too long, when I tightened them down all the way they stopped the trigger and bolt from functioning properly. I used washers to space it out enough to tighten down so both work. Was thinking that may have been the problem, checked it cranked down without the washers and it still had same issue. Checked back of stock and shaved out a little bit that I thought was rubbing, didn't fix it. Still wiggles. Everything tightened down it seems sturdy but if I apply sideways pressure on the barrel the back end of the action still slides to the side and the barrel moves over to the side in the stock. It doesn't bounce back to the original position.

olddav
10-20-2014, 04:42 PM
With the washers in place, how much torque are you applying to the action screws?

iehooligan11b
10-20-2014, 05:59 PM
About 60-65ft lbs id say

olddav
10-20-2014, 07:01 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record but it still sounds like the screws are too long. If you torque the action screws to 65 inch pounds with the correct screws I doubt you would be able to move the action at all. Maybe some pictures would help or someone will notice our struggle and offer some new ideas.

foxx
10-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Try putting some plumbers putty in the action area of the stock then reassemble. I'd say if the putty holds it tight, then it needs to be bedded, in spite of the v-block. Remove the putty and go ahead with some bedding material. Nothing fancy, probably just some jb weld will do. Shouldn't be necessary, but, from what you're saying, it appears that it is

iehooligan11b
10-20-2014, 07:43 PM
So maybe shave down the action screws a bit? They were a bit long to begin with, hence me having to put some washers in there so the action would cycle.

iehooligan11b
10-20-2014, 07:44 PM
I will try the putty method too. See if that helps out.

foxx
10-20-2014, 07:44 PM
So maybe shave down the action screws a bit? They were a bit long to begin with, hence me having to put some washers in there so the action would cycle.

Yes, do that regardless.

iehooligan11b
10-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Lol... Ok so in in the process of hunting down new action screws. I may have gotten a bit rambunctious with my trimming job. This rifle is kickin my butt ha

LongRange
10-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Lol... Ok so in in the process of hunting down new action screws. I may have gotten a bit rambunctious with my trimming job. This rifle is kickin my butt ha

you can pull your bolt put your action screws in and see the screws or at least the rear screw...if you cant see the front screw because its hitting the barrel then add 1 washer at a time until the action is tight then look at/measure the washers and take just a little less off then the washers fit it and trim more if needed. personally i dont CUT the screws i take a fine disc on a grinder and hold the screw with my fingers and take off a little at a time,if the screw gets hot the edges start to roll and most times you can not save the screw.

D.ID
10-22-2014, 05:06 PM
It has to be screws. Deep allen head Hd is my choice (available anywhere) buy a nut to put on them before cutting or grinding so removal of the nut can de-bur the threads afterward, also makes it easier to hold the bolt without buggering anything up.
With the action in the V block there is no way the action can shift side to side if it is properly seated, It should feel completely solid with NO movement. The only possible bedding job it could need would be making more clearance under the recoil lug (unlikely) or bedding behind the recoil lug.
With the motion your describing the action is not seating for one reason or another.

geargrinder
10-22-2014, 08:26 PM
The front action screw won't hit the barrel. It comes up between the locking lugs and the barrel where the lugs of the bolt head reside.