PDA

View Full Version : Questions for new build

Whack' em
10-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Hello
I am wanting to build a 30-378 weatherby I have always wanted one but not really in the budget right now.
I have a stevens 200 in a 300 win mag. Is this build doable or am I dreaming again.

bootsmcguire
10-19-2014, 04:36 PM
IIRC the 30-378 has a brass rim dia of .579" and as such would be a bit too much for the Savage bolt head to handle IMHO. You could build one on a Savage Lapua action and should be strong enough but I am not sure even at that if you would be able to have a repeater with the OAL being that long it may not fit in the mag anyway.

If it were me I'd go with a 300 RUM and even at that you would have to have the mag well opening milled out to be able to use the longer SF mag or you could modify a CF mag to handle the RUM.

Whack' em
10-21-2014, 02:05 PM
IIRC the 30-378 has a brass rim dia of .579" and as such would be a bit too much for the Savage bolt head to handle IMHO. You could build one on a Savage Lapua action and should be strong enough but I am not sure even at that if you would be able to have a repeater with the OAL being that long it may not fit in the mag anyway.

If it were me I'd go with a 300 RUM and even at that you would have to have the mag well opening milled out to be able to use the longer SF mag or you could modify a CF mag to handle the RUM.

Ok thank you for the response. Is there any magnum long range rifle u can build on the 300 win mag action relatively easy or easier then what you have described above.

bootsmcguire
10-21-2014, 10:45 PM
All depends on what your preferences are, and what your definition of long range is, and if you are punching paper or varmint hunting or medium/large game hunting.

If you don't require heavy bullets for extreme long range hunting, then I would think something in a 6.5mm would be effective and easier on the shoulder and wallet. A 6.5-WSM is a popular choice for speed combined with sleek bullets that will reach way out there. I personally have a 6-WSM I built because I have a thing for 6mm stuff, but the 6.5 bullets with the higher BC's should reach farther and hit harder. That should be nothing more than slapping on a barrel as far as the build goes, but of course the 6.5-WSM is a wildcat and does require handloading your own ammo (I am assuming that you handload).

If you are cool with a Single shot, then you can run the 300 RUM just by swapping the barrel, and if you really want something that will reach out and touch something then a 338 EDGE is quite impressive, but since its based on the 300 RUM case it too will be a single shot.

If you want something really off the wall and just plain cool, then you could look up yorketransport on here and ask him about his 375-BME wildcat. It too would be a single shot, but it is basically a 375-RUM with a drastically improved shoulder angle, but recoil appears to be pretty heavy.

Really it is just going to depend on your intended purposes for what you want to do with a long range rifle.

LongRange
10-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Just a question but why not just build a 300 win mag?

Whack' em
10-24-2014, 12:08 AM
I just like wildcats and bigger rifles. I am elk hunting Roosevelt's in western oregon where I like about a 200-225 grain bullet some times it is a close shot but really brushy so you need the heavy bullet but also you have opertunities shooting long yardage acroossed canyons.

LongRange
10-24-2014, 08:35 AM
I just like wildcats and bigger rifles. I am elk hunting Roosevelt's in western oregon where I like about a 200-225 grain bullet some times it is a close shot but really brushy so you need the heavy bullet but also you have opertunities shooting long yardage acroossed canyons.

ive shot 240g sierras out of my 300wm with no issues....it loves 208s 210s and 220 and ive shot the 210s out to 1650yds with 6 hits outta 10 rounds on a 12"x12" steel target...but i do understand wanting a bigger cal as id love to have a 375 cheytac.