PDA

View Full Version : Spent case jamming

BrushyHillGuide
10-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Long story short- bought a Predator Hunter 6.5CM (bottom bolt release - grrrrrr!) and it's about 3/4 through the barrel break in. Since the first round fired, there's been an intermittent issue with spent casings jamming in the receiver - it sometimes takes a LOT of force on the bolt to get the case out. That was with Win Match ammo. Ran 5 rounds of Hornady and EVERY round jammed.

Close inspection of casings (every one shot so far) revealed a scratch at the rear of the body. See attached pictures. Anyone seen this before?

I'm pretty disappointed. Brand new rifle with issues? Had I read through forums before buying a Savage, I probably would not have - seems like problems out of the box is more of a "norm" than an exception. Nevertheless, it's bought and it does shoot pretty well. Talked to Savage and they said I could have local gunsmith look at it and if it only requires a "polishing" in the chamber, or some very minor work to fix it, then my warranty is fine. Good news. Otherwise, I have to send it in and it'll be a month or more to get it back - VERY BAD news! Lol!

Just curious what others think might be causing that scratch? Burr in chamber? Front base screw protruding into chamber?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/18/9494989f087780450f68fcebed2179fd.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/18/c454f285702d0c142d1296ed3f79e071.jpg

jonbearman
10-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Where do the shavings show up? Look in with a light and try to see if it is leaving brass build up and if you cant see it,put your pinky in and feel for a sharp edge or a burr big enough to do this. Also look carefully at the chamber mouth and there should be a light chamfer or better where the cartridge starts in to the chamber,if there is a dent or scratch,send it back to savage for a barrel change. This is not the norm and the reason you see problems with savages more on here is because we are a large family of people and the very few that had problems is only a thin slice of the satisfied customers. Keep in mind that savage is producing 1000's o f these rifles in a short amount of time and lets be honest,people build these things and mistakes do happen. I have never sent a savage back but had nightmares with a few remingtons I had ,so you see it happens to all manufacturers. Ask for a supervisor and tell him you need it back pronto if this rifle is your go to deer rifle and the season is upon us.I am sure they will help.

BrushyHillGuide
10-19-2014, 08:35 PM
I already looked into the chamber as best I could but couldn't see well enough and my hands are just too durn big to get a digit into a 6.5mm chamber. Wish I owned a bore scope. We'll see what my gunsmith says this week.

As to this being an aberration, and not the norm - turns out I'm the 5th guy in town (that I know of) that bought a Savage in the past 18 months. I'm the 5th guy to have an issue as well. All 4 went back to Savage at least once. Went and talked to the gun shop and they're thinking about dropping Savage except for special orders. Turns out, they're getting complaints on about 75% of the rifles they've sold in the last couple years. Nobody wanted to jinx me so they kept quiet about their past experience. So nice. Lol!

I totally understand the issues that come with manufacturing but it seems line Savage is having more than their fair share of issues. You go look at Remington forums and you just don't see the volume of complaints about out-of-the-box 700's. Just saying. I like the rifle but I dislike the hassle that comes with it. Makes me wonder whether this will be my last Savage. We'll see how it all washes out.

short round
10-19-2014, 10:25 PM
From the picture I'm not sure what I'm seeing. If the scratches are running length of case, the magazine may have burrs causing brass to be scratched. Does problem show up if loaded by dropping round into chamber, not using magazine? If screw was in chamber there would have been some serious damage, most unlikely this is happening. If not mag, chamber needs inspected.

J.Baker
10-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Yep, you're right...Savage's are garbage guns. Sell it and go buy yourself a Remington.

BrushyHillGuide
10-20-2014, 07:55 PM
It's hard to see the scratch. It runs lengthwise just in front of the extractor groove. If you look close and zoom in you'll see it. In one picture it's just on the left of the gleam/reflection running up the middle of the case. It's a hard thing to photograph.

I have not even used the magazine. These have ALL been hand fed rounds.

It's been sitting at the gunsmith's since Friday. Waiting on him to inspect the chamber and see what fix(es) he can come up with, short of sending it to Savage.

craigsoutdoorsports
10-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Are you having any pressure signs? i.e. headstamp washing out, flattened primer, etc.? Can't really tell what's going on from the pic.

Also, is this gun stock or have you or anyone else done any work at all to it?

I've sold lots of savages through my gunshop and have never had one returned for any reason whatever. Send it to Savage and they will make it right whatever the issue is.

BrushyHillGuide
10-22-2014, 09:18 PM
So, the verdict is in. Rifle is fixed, thanks to our local gunsmith hero Ron Bartlet at Vias Arms, inc. (www.muzzlebrakes.com) - in record time, I might add. Dropped off Friday and fixed Tuesday. Turns out it had 2 issues: an improperly machined extractor and a pretty good bur in the chamber, like I suspected. $65 and she's fixed. He asked me if it was hard to get the bolt closed, at times, when chambering a round. The answer was "yes" but I didn't think much about it - just figured it was a tight action - but that was due to the faulty extractor as well. The action feels GREAT now - like it should have from the get-go. Ron looked the whole rifle over and shot it some and said it's a 'nice rifle and a good shooter for a factory rifle.' It will probably go back to him for some threading - for a supressor and one of his custom brakes. Talked to the gun shop where I bought it and they're giving me a store credit for the amount of the gunsmithing. Pretty nice of them. Keeps me from having to deal with Savage and worrying about the warranty. What they don't know won't hurt them. Lol!

Yep, you're right...Savage's are garbage guns. Sell it and go buy yourself a Remington.

Didn't say they were garbage but I guess we can't all be fanboys, now can we?? Pretty sure if you bought a new rifle with problems out of the box AND had several friends with recent problems with brand new factory rifles (from the same maker) and then joined a forum with a special section with reams of threads listing out-of-the-box-problems, you might be a tad touchy and a little let down. Oh, wait, I forgot - that doesn't happen to fanboys. :)

I guess if you go buy a brand new truck off the lot and find out, on the way home, that it needs an alignment you'd just smile and take it to Midas? Rolleyes

J.Baker
10-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Calling me a fanboy, now that's funny! Clearly you don't know me very well.

BrushyHillGuide
10-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Calling me a fanboy, now that's funny! Clearly you don't know me very well.

I don't know you at all. I DO know that I got accused of saying something that I didn't say or even imply. The response seemed appropriate. I would have thought that an admin of a site, dedicated to a brand, would be a little more sympathetic to some disappointment when a new rifle has manufacturing issues. Especially when there was a need to dedicate an entire forum to "accuracy issues" (or ANY sort if issues) with a rifle touted as such a great factory rifle. Interesting that "members" were more understanding, helpful and to the point than the post of an admin.

J.Baker
10-23-2014, 07:49 PM
I don't know you at all. I DO know that I got accused of saying something that I didn't say or even imply. The response seemed appropriate. I would have thought that an admin of a site, dedicated to a brand, would be a little more sympathetic to some disappointment when a new rifle has manufacturing issues. Especially when there was a need to dedicate an entire forum to "accuracy issues" (or ANY sort if issues) with a rifle touted as such a great factory rifle. Interesting that "members" were more understanding, helpful and to the point than the post of an admin.

Go re-read your first two posts in this thread and tell me you don't come off as a Savage basher/forum troll type.

...turns out I'm the 5th guy in town (that I know of) that bought a Savage in the past 18 months.
I'm the 5th guy to have an issue as well. All 4 went back to Savage at least once.
Went and talked to the gun shop and they're thinking about dropping Savage except for special orders. Turns out, they're getting complaints on about 75% of the rifles they've sold in the last couple years.
Had I read through forums before buying a Savage, I probably would not have - seems like problems out of the box is more of a "norm" than an exception.
Nevertheless, it's bought and it does shoot pretty well.
You go look at Remington forums and you just don't see the volume of complaints about out-of-the-box 700's.

You brought up how you were regretting buying the Savage, then Remington 700's and the Remington forums and how they rarely get any complaints or have any problems, so I simply told you what it seemed to wanted to hear. Nothing more, nothing less. If you interpreted it as anything more than that that's your own doing.

Yes I'm the admin, but I'm not here to coddle you, be your friend or hold your hand. My job is to keep the site up and running, keep the riff-raff out, sell advertising, write articles and product reviews, and assist members when they have technical issues while navigating the website. If/when I get some spare time I actually get to read a few threads here and there. I've been running this site for over 12 years now and you can rest assured you're not the first to get his/her feathers ruffled by one of my blunt, no BS replies - nor will you likely be the last.

As for the Accuracy Issues board, if you even bothered to take the time to READ the board description under the title you'd know that it's intended for dealing with ammo selection and/or working up handloads, or pointing out to someone that they forgot to ensure that the factory scope mounting screws were tight before heading to the range to sight it in. Yours was not an "accuracy issue, in fact you even said you're shoots quite well, so the fact you even mentioned the board just tells me you're just fishing for a fight at this point.