PDA

View Full Version : Any harm without ejector installed?

Killnstick
10-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Installed a 20VT barrel on a 10FP action. I punch paper more often than live targets, I removed my ejector to keep the spent shell on the bolt. I like to shoot single shot, anyone see a problem shooting without the ejector. Having a great time swapping barrels, have a 221FB coming soon. Thanks Killnstick.

BillPa
10-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Nope. I have four without ejectors installed.

Bill

bootsmcguire
10-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Nope. Great way to keep your brass from hitting the ground at the range or in the pdog fields.

Nor Cal Mikie
11-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Only problem would be with higher power loads. Brass might flow into the ejector hole. All of my rigs have the ejector rod and spring removed. No chasing brass, ever!

LHitchcox
11-20-2014, 02:50 PM
It might help with a stubby cartridge like a .221 Fireball in a short action. The ejector can kick the case loose inside the action, since the case is so short.

Nor Cal Mikie
11-20-2014, 04:58 PM
That's why I went with NO ejectors. Short case would pop off the bolt head as soon as it cleared the chamber. Tried everything. Shorter rod, shorter spring, longer spring, nothing worked. pulled the ejector rod and never looked back.

yobuck
11-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Only problem would be with higher power loads. Brass might flow into the ejector hole. All of my rigs have the ejector rod and spring removed. No chasing brass, ever!

That dosent seem to be a problem on my 338 big baer w/137 gr h50bmg. Or was it a problem for the 25+ years the same action wore a 30x378 barrel.

MrMajestic
11-20-2014, 09:56 PM
I got the tip from here a while back to just turn it around and it works like a charm. They may have changed the style of the ejector now but it worked with 5 of mine.

GaCop
11-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Nope. Great way to keep your brass from hitting the ground at the range or in the pdog fields. Amen to that!

AveragEd
11-27-2014, 09:44 AM

I don't think that should pose a problem. I have one of the new Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloaders that is for all intents and purposes a Model 700 VSSF varmint rifle with a breech plug in place of a centerfire chamber and a 50-caliber bore. It uses what amounts to (but are not exactly) cut-down .308WIN-family cases primed with large rifle magnum primers for ignition instead of #209 shotgun primers like most other inlines. The bolt is exactly the same as a short action M700 bolt but without an ejector as the the cases are small, about an inch long, so finding them in a woodsy setting would be challenging and the rifle is of course a single-shot, so an ejector is not needed. That ignition system is so much hotter than a #209 primer that the rifle is capable of being shot with up to 200 grains by volume (four pellets if you don't use loose powder) of black powder or a substitute. The bolt face has a hole where the centerfire ejector and even with all that pressure, brass flow into that hole is non-existent.

Ed